The Athens City-County Health Department on West Union St.

Coronavirus: Athens County surpasses 1,000 cases

During four of the last five weeks, over 100 coronavirus cases were reported in Athens County.

Before this period, there was only one week where more than 100 cases were reported in the county.

As of Oct. 11, there are over 1,000 total cases of the coronavirus in Athens County.

Of the 1,014 individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 in the county, 692, or 68%, are in their 20s. Another 169 people are younger than 20, which is about 16%. Still active are 237 cases, according to the Athens City-County Health Department.

Altogether, people under 30 make up nearly 85% of all cases in the county. At the state level, that number is nearly 34%.

There have been no new deaths in Athens County, with the number of deaths remaining at two. There have been two new hospitalizations—one Oct. 2 and one Oct. 4—bringing the total to 31 hospitalizations.

Athens County remains as a level two, or “orange,” county on the Ohio Public Health Advisory System.

There have been 739 symptomatic students tested on the Athens campus, 336 of which have tested positive. Sixty-two tests are still pending, according to data that was last updated Oct. 9.

Meanwhile, 59 Athens campus employees who are symptomatic have been tested. Three employees have been positive and four are still waiting on results.

On Friday, every resident at Boyd Hall was moved into quarantine after 19 students tested positive for the coronavirus. There were a total of 94 students living in the hall, according to a previous Post report.

Those students will be quarantined until Oct. 21 on orders from the Athens City-County Health Department.

OU has also tested 1,659 students and employees through its random asymptomatic COVID-19 testing. Of those tested, 100 have been positive, according to OU’s COVID-19 dashboard. This is about a 6% positivity rate.

Here is information about students living off-campus:

• 79 are quarantined due to possible exposure
  • 68 are totally isolated due to a positive result or being symptomatic
  • 49 are currently isolated due to a positive test result.

@ian__mckenzie

im581017@ohio.edu