An arial view of "New South" : Tanaka, Sowle, Luchs and Carr residence halls.

OU investigating mass gathering of 30 people in campus isolation hall

Ohio University is investigating a social gathering of 30 people in Luchs Hall, which is currently being used as isolation housing for students who have tested positive for the coronavirus.

On Friday, a Housing and Residence Life staff member entered Luchs to help a student who was locked out of their room. 

The staff member saw 30 individuals in a common space without face masks or maintaining social distance. They were also drinking alcoholic beverages, according to a university news release.

If there is reason to believe that individuals attended the Oct. 16 “party,” they could be found in violation of public health orders and university policy and subject to both criminal and university judicial proceedings, according to the news release.

University leadership was notified about the situation on Saturday. 

Leadership called for all 48 residents in Luchs Hall to attend a mandatory outdoor meeting, which was approved by the Athens City-County Health Department. 

Representatives from the president’s office, the dean of students’ office and Community Standards and Student Responsibility were present at the meetings, which included about 15 students per session. Students were required to wear face masks and sit six feet apart.

“By failing to comply with public health orders and University policy, these residents put others at risk, including the staff member who entered Luchs Hall to assist a resident, the Culinary Services staff who deliver their meals, and the custodial staff that service Luchs Hall,” according to the news release.

@ian__mckenzie

im581017@ohio.edu