Student Senate meeting in Walter Hall, on Feb. 26, 2020. (FILE)

Student Senate: President Nellis says university is uncertain how to operate during possible Spring COVID-19 spike

Ohio University President Duane Nellis spoke during Wednesday’s Student Senate meeting about how the university will mitigate the spread of COVID-19 as more students return to campus in the spring.

Nellis initially thanked students for their cooperation during the COVID-19 pandemic and for their efforts to stay safe this past Halloween weekend. He also touched on several aspects of what the Spring Semester may look like, including how there will be weekly testing for students living on campus and mandatory contact tracing procedures for students. 

Nellis made a point to speak about the real uncertainty regarding how the university would operate should a spike in positive COVID-19 cases occur in the spring.

“If there is a big upswing here locally, I think we do have to reassess what we can and can’t do, and what density we might want in the residence halls, and how (many) face-to-face activities (we can have),” Nellis said.

He also mentioned that the modality — meaning in what manner classes will be held — of Spring Semester depends heavily on student cooperation when many more students return to campus this spring. 

Part of that cooperation involves students going into quarantine should they come into contact with someone with COVID-19.

Sophia Boothby, a senior studying environmental biology and senator of athletics, questioned Nellis about the mental health concerns of students in quarantine, as well as about the poor food options being offered to quarantined students. 

Nellis noted that there are many things in the works to help students in quarantine feel less separated from their peers.

“We need to think where we can continue to have (quarantined students) engaged rather than (them) … sitting in a room and you have access with your computer but it's just not the same,” Nellis said. “Maybe there are ways to organize even team gatherings where you can kind of … get to know people or whatever.” 

Nellis also said the university will continue to assess the situation with the food provided to students in quarantine, but did not offer any definitive plan. 

Senate also voted on six different resolutions to add members to Senate commissions, executive staff and other positions. After several quick votes, all resolutions passed with little to no opposition. 

Senate President Ian Carter II ended the meeting by thanking members and students alike for voting in yesterday’s presidential election. 

“We use our platform as leaders to voice our opinions and beliefs to advocate for fellow students or represent the student body,” Carter said. “No matter who you voted for, what matters is that you exercise your right to vote.” 

@ryanlmaxin

rm554219@ohio.edu