Depression

6 habits and proceedings to help combat seasonal depression

As time progresses while still amid the coronavirus pandemic, it seems as if life has become slightly more normal. The ever-changing colors of leaves are always a mood booster, but it won’t be long until those same trees become barren, the weather bitter and the depression of many elevated. Commonly, many of the current on-campus students are naturally just now becoming accustomed to the new and adjusted campus feel, only to be forced to return home for a lengthy few months and have their set routines disrupted. 

Most Bobcats can relate to loving being on campus, surrounded by their friends and having freedom to do as they please, making returning home more difficult. Although there is no denying a break is needed, as most are drowning in stress and suffering from academic burnout as the semester comes to a close, many are dreading being cooped up inside their parents’ home with little to do. 

However, the winter does not have to be such a desolate, despondent time period. There are still several aspects of the season that are appealing, such as the holidays and simple facets like hot chocolate, fireside enjoyment and spending time with family. In addition to the classic Christmas and New Year’s clichés, there are other practices to aid in coping with the scientifically proven seasonal depression -- professionally referred to as seasonal affective disorder, that so many face -- often without even knowing it. In fact, here are six habits and proceedings to help combat these dreadful and dreary winter blues: 

Light Box Therapy 

With less hours of daylight during the winter, there is a common deprivation of Vitamin D among considerably healthy individuals. Though sitting and sulking in a dark bedroom can be soothing and serene, it is overall not healthful for the mind and body when engaged in excess. To simply let a little luminosity in your life, consider investing in a lightbox, or if you are currently a CPS client through the university, you can sign up here to indulge in lightbox therapy. According to Verilux, a lightbox therapy retailer, “HappyLight® therapy lamps mimic sunlight to enhance mood, energy, sleep & focus - but without the UV rays.” 

It is said to help with “common problems such as winter blues, sleep disorders, light deprivation, jet lag, shift work and other symptoms alleviated by exposure to healthy light.” 

Meditation

Some may view meditating as some hippie-like nonsense that has no real benefits, but truthfully, it is a method everyone should immerse themselves in if they are due for some soul searching or want to go about their day with a better sense of inner peace and tranquility. There is not one rigid practice, as the routine of it is entirely up to you as a meditator. If you are confused as to where to start, try downloading and beginning a trial with meditation apps like headspace or easily watching a YouTube video as a guide. To further your understanding on differing techniques and how to achieve appeasement with yourself, read the Mayo Clinic’s informative article. One can even go as far to doing his/her own research or reaching out to a professional as an assistant. After becoming better acquainted with the tradition, the endless advantages will be sure to be reaped. 

Journal

Journaling is another simple tool that requires nothing but devoted attention and a positive mindset that is sure to shift one’s attitude regarding the day’s awaiting challenges. Try beginning each day by journaling. Before delving into schoolwork or life’s obligations, treat yourself to defining your intention for that specific day. Leaning into who you are, and deciding which values and words are going to drive the rest of your day is crucial. 

Guided journals are the perfect way to establish this new routine. In like manner, ending the day with letting your deep-rooted thoughts and repressed emotions soar onto paper is a way to process whatever it is you are feeling. Lastly, taking a brief one to two minutes to write down a few or more matters you are grateful for will train you in living each day to appreciate what you have versus dwelling on what you don’t. 

Be active 

In the warmer months, it is unequivocally easier to step outside and get moving by doing something as simple as going for a walk. Even so, the sunshine is motivation within itself to inspire others to get in their cars and head to the gym. It may seem tempting at times to stay snuggled up in bed, especially when the temperature falls brisk, but it is more than fundamental to remain active. 

Octane Fitness’ blog detailed 10 reasons why exercise is essential in the winter, which includes reasons like it helps retain and gain energy, aids in sleep and even makes one feel better when they decide to satiate in the holiday comfort foods. Instead of having to rush to work for that spring break and summer body, start now. Don’t let the cold be your excuse. 

Dawn simulators 

Quite similar to the Light Box therapy, dawn simulators are essentially alarm clocks that wake one up with a sunlight imitation and softer sounds, rather than the standard annoying buzzing and beeping noise. Most dawn simulators also have a sunset feature which helps one fall asleep more naturally and faster. 

The amount and quality of sleep each individual receives is an indicator of how he/she will experience the rest of the day. Philips Sleep and Wake Up Lights allegedly help balance “your light exposure with sufficient light during the day, and low light during the night you can achieve a good balance between rest and activity – having a direct impact on your body, mood, and energy, and ultimately, helping to reduce a variety of health risks.” 

Do something each and every day for YOU 

Last, but most certainly not least, is to put yourself first. Though all of the previous suggestions along with this one, are not only important to hone in on during all times of year, being able to identify an activity that is beneficial to your mind and body during the roughest months should not be an option, but an obligation.

Love yourself enough to want to experience the bitter days better by meditating, journaling, going for a walk, waking up more naturally but then also winding down with something you love to do. This could be as simple as watching your favorite movie, listening to your favorite playlist and singing out loud, snuggling with your pet or treating yourself to dinner at your favorite restaurant. In conclusion, do more for you. Read a book, smile more and remember the winter bleakness is only temporary. 

If you or a loved one’s seasonal affective disorder prevails and worsens to the point help is needed, contact any of the below resources. 

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 800-273-8255

Expressway to a Friend: (877) 567-0508

Better Help Depression Counseling 

@emmadollenmayer

ed569918@ohio.edu