4 music playlists for popular fashion trends

Every student has their own unique style. Fashion can say a lot about your personality, and that’s the same for music. They are both ways to express yourself without even speaking a word. For essential pieces, style inspiration figures and the best stores, check out 4 popular fashion trends to try this semester. 

If you’re still on the search for your unique style, music can help you find out what you like and what you don’t. It’s all about your own tastes and how you incorporate them into clothing. Here are the music playlists to match with some of the most popular fashion trends:

Academia Playlist

Academia style refers to a group of aesthetics that involves learning and studying. This style is very put together and professional, with some of its essential pieces including trench coats and blazers. This style is simple, yet inspiring and would make anyone motivated to get some work done. 

With the style being so centered around academics, its complementing music playlist is too. The perfect songs are relaxing, indie pop songs that can be used to play in the background when studying. “Old Money,” “Greek God” and “Cosmic Love” are all songs about finding love and the consequences that come from it. While they are all soothing and calming, the euphoric melodies are able to get you lost in the lyrics. Whether or not you relate to academia style, these songs are perfect to your study playlist. 

Songs to listen to:

“Old Money” by Lana Del Rey

“Greek God” by Conan Gray

“Cosmic Love” by Florence + The Machine

Y2K Playlist

Now’s the time to pull out your throwback playlist. Y2K is officially back in trend, both in music and in fashion. Artists like Britney Spears transformed pop music in the early 2000s, on top of being fashion icons during the era. For more inspiration, check out the guide to becoming a Y2K princess. 

“I’m A Slave 4 U,” “Buttons” and “Promiscuous” are all very well known from the era. All of the songs were scandalous and wild, which embraced the new direction that pop music was going toward during that time. We didn’t know it at the time, but we are still partying to these songs today. It’s the perfect music to listen to, especially because we still can’t have those wild parties now. 

Songs to Listen to:

“I’m A Slave 4 U” by Britney Spears

“Buttons” by The Pussycat Dolls

“Promiscuous” by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland 

Grunge/Vintage Playlist

Just like Y2K, there are still many Gen Z kids that wish they were around in the 90s. The throwback style originated from Seattle, as it gained popularity in the 1990s with the help of channels like MTV. The most popular of these bands being Nirvana and Pearl Jam. 

The songs below all represent what grunge music is about: rebellion. This was a brand new style during its era, and it had no restrictions or limits to where it could go. The song “Smells Like Teen Spirit” specifically talks about how teenagers view themselves and the freedom they crave so much. It truly embraces the out of the box nature that grunge has to offer. 

Songs to listen to:

“Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana 

“Even Flow” by Pearl Jam

“1979” by The Smashing Pumpkins

Streetwear Playlist

This last playlist is the most modern, but still gives elements of its initial roots. Streetwear brands were introduced back in the 1980s. It was inspired by the street style of Los Angeles skaters and surfers and hip-hop fashion of New York City. 

Similar to the fashion trend, “streetwear” music is both laidback and effortless. These songs give off relaxing energy, while still giving off emotion and free spirit like grunge music. “SOHO,” “Girls Need Love,” and “WHOLE WORLD” also all give components of hip-hop, but still remain under the genre of R&B. They give the perfect mix of Los Angeles and New York style, just like it's inspired fashion. 

Songs to listen to: 

“SOHO” by *Jaden

“Girls Need Love” by Summer Walker

“WHOLE WORLD* by Earl Sweatshirt ft. Maxo

@hannahcmpbell

hc895819@ohio.edu