$1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill is passed; here’s how Green Beer Day lived on in Athens

Today is Thursday, March 11, 2021. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

President Biden’s $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill passed Wednesday circumventing thin congressional majorities and representing his first major achievement since his election to office. 

The bill is intended as far more than a simple economy stimulant, containing tax credits for children and low-income workers, health subsidies and nutritional and rental assistance. Sen. Bernie Sanders said the bill is a major victory for progressives and the biggest relief bill in years.

Biden will give his first prime-time address today. He is expected to discuss the relief bill, as well as COVID-19 and the state of vaccinations in the U.S.

News from The Post:

Here’s how students are reacting to Ohio University’s decision to offer in-person graduation ceremonies. (The Post)

A former OU alum has written a supernatural thriller novel. (The Post)

Here’s how the Green Beer Day tradition lived on in Athens this year. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio women’s basketball bested Ball State in a close contest to advance to the Mid-American Conference tournament quarterfinal. (The Post)

Ohio hockey prepares to take on Lindenwood. (The Post)

Ohio men’s basketball will begin its bid for a MAC championship, taking on Kent State today in the quarterfinals. (The Post)

Athens Weather

It’s another warm day in Athens! Today will be a high of 68 degrees with rain and wind. 

(Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

A newly passed Arkansas law is practically banning all abortion as lawmakers push for a SCOTUS case.  (NPR)

Per the federal government, vaccinated nursing home residents can now receive hugs. (Associated Press

In new behind-the-scenes photos, Lady Gaga and Adam Driver pose for Ridley Scott’s forthcoming film House of Gucci. (CNN)

@JordanE42800656

je563817@ohio.edu