Ohio University outside hitter, Mariana Rodrigues (5), hits the ball during the home match against Central Michigan University. (FILE)

Volleyball: Numbers to know from Ohio's 3-0 win at Northern Illinois

Ohio swept Northern Illinois 3-0 (25-17, 25-22, 25- 21) on Friday in the Huskies’ Convention Center. This is Ohio’s first match sweep since it swept Miami on March 12. The Bobcats deserved the win, earning 15 more points than Northern Illinois (8-13, 8-13 Mid-American Conference) who struggled against Ohio’s offensive. 

Here are the numbers to know from Friday’s match:

.400

Ohio (11-7, 11-7 Mid-American Conference) had a stellar hitting percentage of .400 on Friday, one of the highest it has had all season. Ohio had 110 total attacks but only committed 11 attack errors. The Bobcats did total six service errors though, compared to Northern Illinois’ two service errors. Two of the Bobcat’s six service errors came from setter Vera Giacomazzi. 

55

Ohio knocked down 55 kills on Friday, dominating the Northern Illinois defense. Three Bobcats had 12 kills or more in the match, including Mariana Rodrigues with 12, Tia Jimerson with 14, and Maggie Nedoma with 15. This is the first match Nedoma has played in since March 16 after suffering an injury. However, Nedoma looked as if she had no time off, leading Ohio’s offense. 

.632

Tia Jimerson’s personal hitting percentage on Friday, .632, is her highest of the season. Even though the Bobcats season is slowing down, Jimerson is not. She had only two attack errors in the entire match. Jimerson earned the most points for Ohio on Friday with 17. 

11

The Bobcats sweep on Friday gives them 11 conference wins this season. This is more than the nine conference wins Ohio had in its previous season. It is clear that the Bobcats are on the rise, and may be a force to be reckoned with in the Mid-American Conference for years to come. 

@molly_burchard8

mb712319@ohio.edu