The public attends the Athens City Council meeting in Athens City Hall on Monday, February 3, 2020.

City Council: Reinstatement of mask mandate discussed, approval of remote work space

Athens City Council met Monday evening in committees and special session to discuss the potential reinstatement of a mask mandate in Athens, among other ordinances.

On Aug. 9, Athens reached “substantial transmission” levels, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC. This qualifies the city for the recent CDC recommendations that all individuals, regardless of vaccination status, should wear masks when in indoor public settings. 

Following a presentation by Councilwoman Sarah Grace, D At-Large, on the status of COVID-19 infections, several members expressed agreement that reinstatement of the mask mandate may be in the best interest of Athens residents. A letter from LeeAnn Lucas-Helber, president of OhioHealth O’Bleness Hospital, similarly urged individuals to resume wearing masks in public spaces.  

Council also approved an ordinance to enter into an agreement with Sunday Creek Horizons, a consulting firm, to establish a remote work space program in Athens. The partnership is meant to capitalize on remote work as an opportunity for economic growth in Athens by attracting and retaining more workers. Part of the plan includes renovating the armory in Athens to become a new community space for remote work, according to a previous Post report.

Also approved by Council was an ordinance accepting the terms of settlement for an opioid litigation involving AmerisourceBergen, Cardinal Health and McKesson. The settlement involves $804,865,429 provided to the state of Ohio.

“The companies remain deeply concerned about the impact the opioid epidemic is having on individuals, families, and communities across the nation and are committed to being part of the solution,” McKesson said in a July press release. 

Athens and six other Ohio counties — Hocking, Vinton, Meigs, Jackson, Gallia, Lawrence – form one of 18 regions in Ohio that will make decisions regarding use of the funds for programs and activities going forward. Predetermined uses of the money include intervention, treatment, education and recovery services. 

The Athens solid waste fund has experienced a deficit since 2020, which Athens Director of Code Enforcement David Riggs attributes to revenue that has been lower than anticipated, likely as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. In order to balance the fund, Council discussed the potential for raising waste rates by 5%, as well as a $2 increase in the recycling fee. For owner-occupied units, this would result in a 73 cent increase for one container and a $1.05 increase for two containers. 

Council also addressed Monday several vacant city positions, as well as potential changes to its structure. Athens Mayor Steve Patterson introduced the idea of outsourcing information technology to a third party company, while eliminating the CIO, or chief information officer, position. If approved, the city would enter a six-month trial period and evaluate the arrangement at term’s end before determining its continuation.

@sophielisey    

sy951319@ohio.edu