The Union is a local bar and music venue located on West Union in Athens, Ohio.

The Union, Tony’s Tavern to enact COVID-19 precautions amid rising cases in Athens

Two local bars have adopted new COVID-19 health and safety measures for patrons following an increased number of cases in Athens County. 

Starting Friday, The Union Bar, located at 18 W. Union St., will require physical or photo proof of vaccination, or a negative test result within the previous 48 hours before patrons are allowed to enter, according to an Instagram post released Thursday. 

Richard Linscott, a manager at The Union, said the main reason for the new restrictions is to be able to host shows. 

“If we can't host shows (for whatever reason) we lose that space that makes The Union so great,” Linscott said in an email. “We want to be proactive about keeping that space safe and open. Between this and the HVAC improvements we put in during the shutdown, we feel like we do that.” 

Linscott also said any concerns associated with losing money from the restrictions don’t outweigh the decision to put them in place. For him, the restrictions are an investment in the future, even though he believes they will cost The Union money initially. 

Tony’s Tavern, located at 7 W. State St., tweeted Thursday it will require customers and employees to wear masks unless seated, regardless of vaccination status. According to the tweet, Tony’s also intends to keep its acrylic barriers up and updated its air filtration system in an effort to keep people safe. 

“Please join us for drinks, and THANK YOU for your cooperation and understanding, during this time,” the tweet reads. “Be kind to one another. Cheers!”

Tony’s Tavern could not be immediately reached for comment. 

According to a previous Post report, Athens saw 35 new COVID-19 cases from Aug. 4 to Aug. 11, a 66.67% increase. This qualifies Athens as an area of substantial transmission, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC. At this designation, the CDC recommends all individuals wear a mask when in public indoor areas, regardless of vaccination status. 

On Aug. 9, Athens City Council discussed reinstating a mask mandate for the city, according to a previous Post report. So far, no mandate has been enacted. 

@ryanmaxin

rm554219@ohio.edu