Finally, after a five year drought, these superstars are an item but fans aren’t 100 percent sure when their relationship started. (Photo provided by @BuzzFeed via Twitter). 

Timeline of Tom Holland and Zendaya’s relationship

The Spiderman co-stars have always had a close bond since they met in 2016, and fans have always hoped the two would become more than just friends. Finally, after a five year drought, these superstars are an item but fans aren’t 100% sure when their relationship started. Luckily, I have created the perfect timeline: 

It all began July 10, 2016

This is the first time Holland posted a photo with Zendaya on Instagram shortly after the two were casted in Spiderman: Homecoming. This image marks the start of their friendship to the public, and the two are seen relaxing in a pool with the caption, “Summer Sunday’s.”

November 9, 2016

Zendaya and Holland star on the cover of The Hollywood Reporter with the star using a touching caption in honor of their beloved friendship. “Amidst all the chaos and sadness… this one good thing did happen to me today.” Obviously, the love Zendaya has for her co-star here is evident and looking back at this, it’s hard to believe the two didn’t start dating sooner!

July 7, 2016

Peter Parker himself began speaking a lot about his relationship with Zendaya to People Magazine, but of course, Holland only acknowledged his co-star as a dear friend. He said they were “the best of friends” and that Zendaya was “great and amazing.” He also praised the actress's calm composure when dealing with the spotlight. This development in their relationship definitely proved Holland’s admiration and appreciation for Zendaya since compliments like these are usually well thought out. 

July 13, 2017

Flash forward to almost a year later, and rumors begin spreading that Holland and Zendaya are dating in real life thanks to People Magazine. Yet, the rumors were shut down immediately by the two actors. Zendaya was the first to deny these speculations and took to Twitter to joke about the breaking news. Holland responded later joking back at her, also acknowledging that the rumors aren't true. Even though they both denied these claims, their relationship at the time almost appeared to look like the two were more than just friends. Have you seen the way Holland looks at Zendaya?

May 8, 2018

More time passed as Holland met Zendaya’s parents, and the actress continued to deny dating rumors, but things got a little suspicious when Holland posted her stunning knight-in-shining-armor-esque Met Gala look to Instagram. It was the ultimate sign of Holland’s awe for the star, saying “All hail the queen.” This was a bold move on Holland’s part and left fans in a state of wonder as the post racked up over 2.5 million likes. 

August 2019 - September 2020

The two stars left fans heartbroken as they were rumored to be seeing other people. Zendaya began dating her Euphoria co-star Jacob Elordi, while Holland was linked to actress Nadia Parks. Just take a look at the Instagram comments and you’ll see the complete outrage of fans complaining about the stars’ new significant others. Unfortunately, both relationships reportedly ended around the summer of 2020. This was a sigh of relief for avid shippers of Holland and Zendaya, but the two remained silent about their breakups.

July 1, 2021

Finally, some actual evidence! Photos were published by Page Six of Holland and Zendaya sharing a kiss while stopped at a red light in Los Angeles, which to the public was a confirmation of their relationship. As these photos spread like wildfire across the internet, the two famously stayed quiet yet again about the leak of images. Meanwhile, fans went crazy on Twitter, and many memes were made as a form of celebration.

July 23, 2021

US Weekly reported that Holland and Zendaya’s relationship was going smoothly since “they both challenge each other and balance each other out.” Apparently, the magazine reported that their relationship was working so well because Holland likes to make her laugh and isn’t too serious. Additionally, the source said that Zendaya has been a guide for Holland for living a life as a major celebrity. 

August 22, 2021

Weeks went by without any more pictures of the two celebrities. Thankfully though, there was another leak of images that the stars attended a wedding together. One of the wedding guests, Estaban Camarillo, posted a photo of Tom and Zendaya sitting very close to each other with their heads touching. Zendaya was sporting a long, tan dress with a glow stick around her neck and Holland with a classic white button-down and black pants. All I can say is that this image is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. 

September 1, 2021

This is the moment we’ve all been waiting for. On Zendaya’s birthday, Holland gave a special shoutout to his supposed girlfriend on Instagram. Using a photo from behind the scenes on the set of Spiderman Holland said, “My MJ, have the happiest of birthdays. Gimme a call when you’re up xxx.” This sweet message very nearly broke the internet as fans rejoiced all around the world with their hearts melting and tears in their eyes. The post also received close to 19 million likes, so it definitely did some collateral damage. 

October 12, 2021

The actress for once gave us more insight on her relationship with Holland during her InStyle magazine November 2021 cover story. She said the things she appreciates most about the actor is “that he really loves being Spider-Man. It’s a lot of pressure - you take on the role of a superhero wherever you go. To the little kid who walks by, you are Spider-Man. I think he handled that so well.” Zendaya also told readers how dedicated Holland was on set and how much of a perfectionist he is. Later, she went on to share that Holland is “very charismatic and can make anyone feel comfortable.” 

October 18, 2021

Once again, Holland took to Instagram after the release of Zendaya’s latest film, Dune. He posted a black-and-white photo of the star at the London premiere of the film with the caption, “Dune?.” Zendaya replied with a “?.” 

October 21, 2021

Leave it to Zendaya’s Dune co-star Timothée Chalamet to expose the two’s relationship during a recent interview for the film. Not expecting this callout, Zendaya’s reaction was one for the books. In a video for Buzzfeed Celeb, Chalamet and Zendaya were challenged to ask each other questions for a BFF test. When asked who was their biggest celebrity crush, Chalamet answered with little hesitation, “Easy, Tom Holland,” looking at the actress as she laughed it off before moving onto the next question. It proved that there was no need for an explanation on Zendaya’s part since the whole world knows now about her relationship with Holland.

@grace_koe3  

gk011320@ohio.edu