Pondering with Patterson: The hidden beauty of podcasts

What’s a walk through campus without music? While passing others, it’s almost certain to be met with smiles or nods of acknowledgment in lieu of conversation as most have music cranked in their ears. Those who are not fans of constant music or who are looking for a switch-up can consider other ways to stay entertained while trudging along. Perfecting a personal commute playlist is an art form, but another considerable option is podcasts.

Podcasts have grown in popularity, serving as a great expressive outlet. Upon finding a host, getting a podcast up and running on platforms such as Spotify or Apple Music is fairly simple. Users feel connected by producing and tuning in. For listeners, various topics range from true crime to self-help podcasts. In addition to recreational-themed podcasts, there are also valuable podcast news sources. Essentially, there’s a place for just about everything.

The New York Times’ “The Daily” podcast, hosted by Michael Barbaro, runs for about 20 minutes five days a week, highlighting top stories. As an even more timely podcast news option, NPR’s “Up First” daily podcast is about 10 minutes long and focuses on the top three stories of each day. By allotting a few extra minutes of time or switching up your routine to incorporate, the value may be found in another, different way to absorb news.

For campus and local news, The Post produces podcasts covering a variety of topics, including women in sports in “Yes Ma’am” and entertainment news in “Stay Tuned”. Another podcast that is popular among college students includes Emma Chamberlain’s “Anything Goes” podcast, which, namely, hits on a variety of relatable topics. 

Podcasts are a great way to absorb information quickly and efficiently. No matter the length of the podcast, listening in helps save time, which allows for easy multitasking.

Rather than committing to watching an episode or film, content can be absorbed while completing everyday tasks. For college students, this amenity can be extremely beneficial in helping with a busy schedule. Podcasts are accessible on multiple streaming platforms and websites. They can be listened to anywhere, whether it is while driving, doing homework or walking to class. 

Digging into podcasts doesn’t have to be a massive commitment. Finding someone or something you like is a good start, and it could be an interesting new pastime. Whether you are searching for something new to listen to or learning something new, podcasts are an option worth considering. 

Lauren Patterson is a junior studying journalism. Please note that the views and ideas of columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Lauren? Tweet her @lpaatt. Editor’s note: A previous version of this article featured a podcast that has since been removed for copyright conflicts. The current article has been updated to reflect those changes.