Pondering with Patterson: The hidden beauty of podcasts

What’s a walk through campus without music? While passing others, it’s almost certain to be met with smiles or nods of acknowledgement in lieu of conversation as most have music cranked in their ears. For those who are not fans of constant music, or who are simply looking for a switch up, considering other options is a good way of keeping entertained while trudging along. Perfecting a personal commute playlist is an art form, and another factor to consider when updating a fresh playlist is podcasts.

Podcasts have grown in popularity, serving as a great expressive outlet. Upon finding a host, it’s fairly simple to get a podcast up and running on platforms such as Spotify or Apple Music. Users are able to feel connected by both producing and by tuning in. For listeners, there’s a variety of topics ranging from true crime to advice and self help podcasts. In addition to recreational-themed podcasts, there are also valuable podcast news sources. Essentially, there’s a place for just about everything.

The New York Times’ The Daily” podcast, hosted by Michael Barbaro, runs for about 20 minutes five days a week highlighting top stories. As an even more timely podcast news option, NPR’s “Up First” daily podcast is about ten minutes in length and focuses on the top three stories of each day. By allotting a few extra minutes of time, or switching up routine to incorporate, value may be found in another, different way to absorb news.

For campus and local news, The Post even produces podcasts covering a variety of topics including culture in “The Culture Corner,” women in sports in “Yes Ma’am,” entertainment news in “Stay Tuned” and more. Another podcast that is popular among college students includes Emma Chamberlain’s “Anything Goes” podcast, which, namely, hits on a variety of relatable topics. 

Podcasts are a great way to absorb information quickly and efficiently. No matter the length of the podcast, having a way to tune in and listen is helpful in saving time, allowing for multi-tasking to come easily.

Rather than committing to watching an episode or film, content and stories can be absorbed while completing every day tasks. For college students, this amenity can be extremely beneficial in helping with a busy schedule. Podcasts are accessible on multiple streaming platforms and websites. They are also accessible in that they can be listened to anywhere, whether it is while driving, doing homework or walking to class. 

Digging into podcasts doesn’t have to be a massive commitment. Finding someone you like, or a topic that you like and giving it a go is a good start and could be an interesting new passtime. Whether you are searching for something new to listen to or trying to learn something new, podcasts are an option worth considering. 

Lauren Patterson is a junior studying journalism. Please note that the views and ideas of columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to talk to Lauren? Tweet her @lpaatt.

Comments