As they set out on their summer tour, it’s clear that this group is ready to take the world by storm with their relatable rock songs and introspective lyrics (Photo provided via @thebeachesband on Instagram).

Artist Spotlight: The Beaches clearly know how to take the world by storm

The Beaches, a girl group composed of lead vocalist and bassist Jordan Miller, guitarist Kylie Miller, keyboardist and guitarist Leandra Earl and drummer Eliza Enman-McDaniel have an interesting history.

In their early teens, sisters Jordan and Kylie Miller joined forces with Enman-McDaniel and guitarist Megan Fitchett to form a pop-punk quartet called Done with Dolls while living in their hometown of Toronto. In 2011, the band opened for Allstar Weekend on their first tour. 

Two years later, Fitchett departed from the band, and The Beaches formed. The name was a direct reference to the neighborhood where the Millers and Enman-McDaniel grew up. Luckily, the group also gained the musical influence of Earl, adopting a rock sound. 

From there on, The Beaches released two EPs, The Beaches and Heights, before signing to Universal Music’s subsidiary Island Records in 2016.

In 2017, they released their first full-length studio album, Late Show, which was produced by Emily Haines and James Shaw of Metric. Two of its singles, “Money” and “T-Shirt,” were overwhelmingly praised, peaking at No.1 on the Billboard Canada Rock chart and were certified gold by Music Canada in 2021. 

As their musical journey continued, The Beaches won Breakthrough Group of the Year at the Juno Awards in 2018. That same year, the group also received a SOCAN Songwriting Prize nomination for “Money.” 

As their success continued to grow, the group released their third EP, The Professional, in 2019, accompanied by singles “Fascination” and “Snake Tongue.” 

As a result, the girls earned another touring gig with The Glorious Sons and Passion Pit and were even selected to open for The Rolling Stones’ only Canadian stop on their No Filter Tour. After acting as openers for multiple bands, The Beaches announced their first solo tour in 2020.

Preparing for tour, the band sadly was forced to delay it after the COVID-19 pandemic. Yet, this setback only provided more time for the girls to make music.

Time flew by and 2021 rolled around, signaling another new EP from the band, Future Lovers. With singles such as “Let Go” and “Blow Up,” the new drop contained songs that were originally intended for their second album that they decided to release sooner. Yet again, the band won a Juno Award this year for Best Rock Album for the EP.

Now, The Beaches are eager to tour again for the first time in three years, even debuting more new music for fans to listen to this summer. Released on July 20 with an accompanying music video, “Grow Up Tomorrow” acts as the band’s current lead single. 

Starting Aug. 9, The Beaches will perform all over North America, starting in Brooklyn at Elsewhere. They’re even on route to selling out two shows at Toronto’s History in August. 

The alternative-pop group already has major accomplishments on their belts, from winning major awards to selling out tour dates, but The Beaches are still hungry for more. As they set out on their summer tour, it’s clear that this group is ready to take the world by storm with their relatable rock songs and introspective lyrics.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu