Fresh Finds Friday: Joji returns with his signature style on ‘YUKON (INTERLUDE);’ ROLE MODEL drops first single since his last album

As week two comes to a close, Bobcats are finally becoming acclimated to a new course schedule and for some, a new campus. During a time of change, it's always a nice addition to have some new tunes to listen to throughout the week and going into the weekend. This past week, Joji, Tai Verdes and others have dropped new music. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are 5 new songs to get you through the week:

“YUKON (INTERLUDE)” by Joji

Joji, the creator of several hits over the past few years, returns with his new single “Yukon (Interlude).” While some listeners know him as Joji the musician, some may know him as the person behind the somewhat obscene Filthy Frank YouTube channel. “Yukon” is no different in the traditional melancholy manner of production that Joji usually goes with musically. It settles on the topic of distraction from “overflow with uncertainty.” Yukon will be on Joji’s upcoming project, “Smithereens,” which will be released on Nov 4.

“you” by CKay

Nigerian Singer/Songwriter CKay made headlines in 2021 after his song “Love Nwantiti'' went viral and he became the first Nigerian/African to make the Billboard 200, according to a pmnews report. Now, he returns with his new song “you,” which will be a track on his latest project, “Sad Romance. The piece draws from the solemn acoustic appeal to reveal the message of “revealing experiences in relationships more intimately,” he said in an interview. “Sad Romance” is expected to drop on Sept. 23. 

“Will of The People” by Muse

After a three-year hiatus from their last release, “Simulation Theory,” Muse returns with their 9th studio album to date, “Will of The People, which in its concept of ruling governments should be the will of the people and that we're in trying times in this never-ending global political crisis. Its second single, "Compliance," talks about "authoritarian rules and reassuring untruth," and the album's final track “We Are F*cking F*cked,” speaks much about the climate crisis with lyrics, "We're at death's door / Wildfires and earthquakes I foresaw." Much to the likes of previous works such as “Drone,” this will appease the older Muse fans more than current.

“how deep?” by Tai Verdes

Chart-topping singer-songwriter Tai Verdes released his new single "how deep?" which will be on his forthcoming studio album “HDTV.” "how deep?" is a song about "not knowing anything.” Verdes in an interview with Pop Inquirer.” I hope that when people hear it, they feel lost, but also found," he said. Verdes added, “HDTV” is a continuation of Verdes' previous album, “TV.” It will include some of his top songs, such as "LAst dAy on EaRTh," which debuted at number 29 on the Billboard Hot Rock Alternative chart along with another one of his singles, “sheluvme.” “HDTV” is expected to drop on Sept. 16. 

“cross your mind” by ROLE MODEL

Role Model (a.k.a Tucker Pillsbury), best known for his hit song, “minimal," returns with his brand-new single “cross your mind." It's his first single after he released his album “RX” earlier this year. He wanders over the fuzzed landscapes of the guitar and dances around a vintage home in the music video that accompanies the tune. He also questions if the girl he likes thinks about him when he's gone, further emphasized by the lyric, " Do ya do ya do ya think about me/ Do I even cross your mind."

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu