Cutler Hall sits on the edge of College Green in Athens Ohio on August 25, 2022.

OU named ‘best value’ among Ohio’s public universities

Ohio University was named Ohio’s “best value” public university for the third year in a row, according to the ‘best colleges rankings’ completed by U.S. News and World Report.

OU was ranked in 16th place nationally among public universities, an increase from last year’s rankings, in which OU was placed in the 30th spot. In the ‘best national universities’ category, OU tied for 91st among all public universities and tied for 182nd among all universities nationally, according to a university news release.

Rankings are based on a quality-to-price ratio, the percentage of full-time undergraduates receiving need-based scholarships or grants, the percent of need-based aid recipients awarded scholarships or grants and the average discount covered by scholarships, according to the release.  

Several of OU’s undergraduate programs also placed nationally including its business program, which tied for 164th place; its computer science program, which tied for 194th place; its nursing program, which tied for 172nd place; and its engineering program, which tied for 147th place. 

OU was also ranked 121st in the ‘Best Universities for Veterans’ category, according to the university’s release.  

"OHIO is committed to ensuring that our world-class education is available at an affordable price and provides a significant return on investment for our students,” Ohio University President Hugh Sherman said. “This continued improvement in our Best Value ranking shows we are living up to that promise.”

@AddieHedges

ah766719@ohio.edu