Kayla Pintar, a junior studying psychology and Delta Zeta President spins on spin cycles with the sisterhood at Ping Rec Center on Nov. 8, 2022.

A day in the life of a sorority president

Kayla Pintar, a junior studying psychology, is the madam president omicron gamma, or the sorority president of Delta Zeta at Ohio University. 

Delta Zeta, her home for years, drew her in from the first moment she interacted with the women there. 

"Whenever I got invited back to Delta Zeta, it felt like I was having conversations with girls that I had known for years," Pintar said, referencing her initial impression of the chapter during formal recruitment. 

And from there, it became a whirlwind. Starting her freshman year, she had a lot of encouragement from upperclassmen to take on an administrative leading position within Delta Zeta. She then became the assistant vice president of new member education her second semester.

From there, it was easy to slide into her next position as president, as she had already made many connections with both the younger crowd and the older members.

Now, her duties include housing matters and communicating with others. Whether it's a simple issue within the house, she knows she can go to the house mom or the house manager with her concerns. From talking with the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life to the monthly meeting with the director of chapter services at nationals to even connecting with other chapters, Pintar is constantly answering emails. 

At the start of her presidency, Delta Zeta did not have an advisor, so she also stepped into those shoes. She plays many administrative roles, too, making sure everyone is on top of everything and submitting the forms that need to be filled. With so many people to manage, it's no wonder she's bombarded with texts. 

"I have to budget time to answer questions that come up right away," Pintar said. 

But more than the daily responsibilities Pintar completes, it's also about the connections she's made. She credits Delta Zeta with some of her best friends and memories.

"So really just getting to meet everybody and just getting to know them on a more personal level," Pintar said. "If there's any comments or concerns or someone just wants to talk, I can be there for them." 

Some of her favorite sorority traditions include the senior ceremony, which is an annual exit ceremony for those graduating. Typically, they are gifted with a goodie basket and asked to give a speech about their time within Delta Zeta. 

Pintar also enjoys the transition chapter event in which the former president hands the gavel off to the next president. She will be participating in this ceremony soon, as she plans to step down from her role as president and become a typical sorority member again. 

"I don't regret being in this role," Pintar said. "I am excited to transition over and just to keep going on with other stuff within sorority and fraternity life and within Delta Zeta as a whole. Finishing up my year and looking back, I've learned I've grown as a person a lot and definitely matured as a leader." 

While being a sorority president may be stressful at times with all the coordination Pintar has to oversee, it also has provided her with insights into administration and connections she will never forget. In the future, she knows she won't shuck off the president mindset and will continue to provide insight and assistance to all of Delta Zeta. 

"I have to show up and be there for everybody because I know what it's like being in their shoes," Pintar said. 

@1eowynstan

ml858121@ohio.edu