Monday’s StartUp Market event in the CoLab united dozens of patrons with student and community vendors, providing a space for small businesses to thrive. Excited shoppers darted through the rows of student and local vendors, enjoying the several dozen table storefronts, free food and drinks from local companies. Video by: Andrew Bowlby Visit our website: https://www.thepostathens.com/ Find us on social media: Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thepostathens/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThePost Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ThePostAthens

StartUp Market connects students, local small businesses

Correction appended.

The library is typically a quiet space, but Monday afternoon Alden Library’s third floor was bustling with voices, vendors, food and the pumping music of DJ A-Roc. Excited shoppers darted through the rows of student and local vendors, enjoying the several dozen table storefronts, free food and drinks from local companies and the lively atmosphere of the StartUp Market.

The StartUp Market overtook the CoLab on Alden’s third floor from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. as part of Global Entrepreneurship Week. Krystal Geyer, the assistant director of the Center for Entrepreneurship, said the event has been in the works since July as a collaboration between Tech Growth Ohio, the Voinovich School, the College of Business and the Center for Entrepreneurship. 

“The whole impetus for why we're having the event and why we're having it today is it's Global Entrepreneurship Week, it's the kickoff,” Geyer said. “So it's all across the world, people are celebrating entrepreneurship and small business. We are happy to be a part of that.”

According to the Global Entrepreneurship Network, Global Entrepreneurship Week connects 10 million people from 200 countries annually. The week-long international celebration began 15 years ago with the hope to distribute entrepreneurial spirit across the globe, particularly to historically underrepresented groups and celebrate what entrepreneurs do. Monday began the week of celebration, which will span until Nov. 20.

Various sellers lined tables around the CoLab, with products ranging from homemade jewelry to crochet plush animals to stickers and temporary tattoos to stained glass appliques for windows.

Geyer said once the event was advertised to the community, a variety of vendors flooded in hoping to participate. Some were local small businesses, some were student start-ups and some appeared day of with hopes of selling, which Geyer said they worked quickly but happily to accommodate. 

She said many local businesses that participated had pre-existing relationships with the Center for Entrepreneurship. Students, however, often sought out the event themselves.

One such student, Rheanna Maziarz, a freshman studying art therapy, had her table covered in beanies, yarn and a small raffle to win a free hat. She said she decided to bring her company, Hats ‘n Ribbons, to the StartUp Market after seeing a poster advertising the event.

“I make custom-made hats,” Maziarz said. “Any color that you would like, you name it and I'll make it for you.”

Named for the signature blue or pink ribbon she knits inside the top of each hat, Hats ‘n Ribbons was founded after she began knitting hats for people without housing. Maziarz had a talent for the craft, and soon her friends and family were making requests, so she started the business. Two years later, it followed her to college.

photo 3 startup market

Other student vendors included Mekenzie’s Cupcakes, run by Mekenzie Smith, a freshman studying entrepreneurship. She featured her three best sellers at the event, all made from scratch: apple cinnamon, pumpkin with cream cheese frosting and chocolate with vanilla, which was topped with a chocolate-covered pretzel. Smith said running a small business as a college student came with its own challenges.

“It’s pretty hard because I don't have a kitchen available,” Smith said. “So it is difficult, I can only really bake when I go home. I had to go home and bake all of these and bring them back.”

Kelsi Boyd, who graduated from Ohio University and now runs Silver Market Company, a hand-crafted skincare brand, said she was happy to return to her alma mater for the chance to speak with budding business owners. 

“I love seeing this event, and I love seeing other young entrepreneurs,” Boyd said. “It gets me really excited that there are other people here that are basically here with the intention of trying to do something like this for themselves. I like that I can be a part of this and hopefully serve as somewhat of a model for them.”

Silver Market Company has a storefront in Point Pleasant, West Virginia, although Boyd sells in Athens too. Even miles away, students can buy the plant-based skincare products at Kindred Market, 284 E. State St., and in OU’s markets.

Still, other local companies at the event contributed to the market’s free food and drinks rather than selling items. Butcher’s Bites said they hoped to join Silver Market Company in selling in OU’s markets and offered their new selection of “super snacks” for attendees to try: individually packaged overnight oats, chia seed puddings and protein balls.

Next to Butcher’s Bites was another Athens business centered around ethical, natural food. The Farmacy, located at 28 W. Stimson, offers vegan tempeh sandwiches, veggie pizza, gluten-free harvest bars and vegan chocolate chip cookies for shoppers to enjoy. Across the venue, attendees 21 and older could redeem their two free drink tickets for Jackie O’s beers or wines from Pleasant Hill Winery.

Guests enjoyed the free food, local shopping and music and lucky guests who registered in advance for the event were entered in a drawing for a $50 Visa gift card, which could be used at the event. OU’s kickoff for Global Entrepreneurship Week had quite the turnout.

Geyer encouraged people of all majors to take advantage of the Center for Entrepreneurship, not just during this week but throughout the year. To start, she said, this event was a great use of communal space, and she hopes it builds connections with people who may not be familiar with the center or with local vendors.

“Our hope is really to promote and celebrate student and community entrepreneurs, any kind of economic impact that we can have,” Geyer said. “To join in the celebration of Global Entrepreneurship Week, (and) hopefully make a little bit of money for our vendors. And if not, at least raise awareness that there are some really incredible things happening in southeastern Ohio.”

Correction appended: A previous version of this article stated the incorrect spelling of Krystal Geyer‘s last name. This article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.

@katie_millard11

km053019@ohio.edu

Katie Millard

Editor-in-Chief