10 songs for your spring semester playlist

"III. Urn" by Childish Gambino 

Under the stage name Childish Gambino, Renaissance man Donald Glover has released five full albums. While his second studio album, “3005,” consists mostly of the same rap style that his first album showcased, “III. Urn” alludes to Glover’s future style that highlights his vocal skill. While this song is not a long one, it still perfectly characterizes the smooth and dulcet atmosphere that people seek out on cold days. 

"Radio Cure" by Wilco 

“Radio Cure” is an early track off Wilco’s “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.” This song engages listeners with a slow build into the heart of the song, adding more ambient background instrumentals as it continues. Beginning with sentiments of growth and belief that develop into a motif of understanding and trust, this song is a true metaphor for how people hope to grow through a new year. 

"What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong  

Louis Armstrong has one of the most distinct voices in the history of music, and he used his talents in this song to remark on the beauty of the world that surrounded him. Winter is often a difficult time for people, between the early darkness and persistent chill, but with Armstrong’s appreciative voice crooning in your ear, things don’t seem quite so bad. 

"You're On Your Own, Kid" by Taylor Swift  

Taylor Swift’s newest chart-topping, Ticketmaster-conquering album is an instant classic for this time of year, and what better song to have on repeat than the one that begins with the lyrics “summer went away.” Swift’s story of early struggle paired with her current success is like a reassuring hand-guiding her listeners through this season. The repeated melody and beliefs stated in her brilliant lyrics lull listeners into a sense of warmth and comfort that is a necessity in the midst of January. 

"Holocene" by Bon Iver  

“Holocene” sounds as though the season of winter was bottled and turned into a five-and-a-half-minute existential experience. Bon Iver is a genius of song structure and lyrics, and this song is a perfect example of that gift. From the words to the opening guitar lick, this song is rich with symbolism, and is nothing short of seasonal perfection. 

"Kill Bill" by SZA 

“Kill Bill” is the most streamed song from SZA’s new album on Spotify, and for very good reason. Those who study music theory can appreciate her use of chromatic patterns in the chorus, and those who can’t appreciate her remarkable vocal and song-writing technique. This song flows beautifully and will bring a sly smile to your face as you tackle the cold walk to class. 

"My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison 

George Harrison’s solo career is full of songs like “My Sweet Lord,” but something about it feels especially like a soft blanketed hug. This song certainly contains a touch of springtime, making it the perfect soundtrack for melting snow and budding flowers. Listen to it to hold out hope that things will soon brighten and let Harrison’s unique vocals and infallible guitar playing motivate you. 

"Misty" by Ella Fitzgerald  

The great Ella Fitzgerald is famous for her Christmas songs, and while “Misty” is not one of them, hearing her voice is still a remarkable transportation to that time of year – sitting fireside as snow falls outside the window. She croons of love and the emotions that accompany it, and it can bring a smile to anyone’s face. 

"Call It Fate, Call It Karma" by The Strokes 

“Comedown Machine” is one of The Strokes’ more recent albums, and this song is a gem among it. The entire song sounds as if it is being streamed through a vintage rotary phone, and it prioritizes the guitar motif over anything else. “Call It Fate, Call It Karma” sounds like the backing track to a picture of tranquility and peace, two emotions that everyone needs now and again. 

"White Winter Hymnal" by Fleet Foxes 

To end your playlist with a seminal piece of winter music, you cannot go wrong with this Fleet Foxes classic. If the name itself doesn’t convince you, just listen to the first 30 seconds of the song. Done in an acapella round, the vocals and gentle rhythm of this song are subtle and perfectly encapsulate the spirit of the season.  

@sophia.rooksberry

sr320421@ohio.edu