Lately with Layne: TikTok’s strong influence in the world of consumerism

TikTok, like all social media, has a way of romanticizing certain lifestyles. Users can post videos with one-second glimpses into the best parts of their day. Without meaning to, they engage in a form of product placement during such videos. Product placement is the act of purposely embedding a product into a video in order to advertise without being super obvious. Because of popular users on TikTok, some brands have deeply benefitted from this accidental product placement. 

The Drunk Elephant bronzing drops blew up on TikTok approximately a month before Christmas. While makeup tutorials are fairly popular on TikTok, the bronzing drops’ popularity is rooted in the fascination with the “clean girl” look, which includes things like slick back ponytails, brushed up brows and gold hoop earrings. The drops are sold out in all makeup stores and even on the Drunk Elephant website. It may take a while for the company to recover from this shortage issue as the moment they are back in stock they will probably sell out almost immediately. I will admit this is an amazing product, but I do feel for loyal Drunk Elephant customers that may not be able to get their hands on products that they have long used. 

The 40 ounce Stanley tumbler has taken off in a similar manner. As a popular Christmas present this year, the hashtag “#StanleyCup” on TikTok has 3.3 billion views. Just as Target has done before with items like toilet paper and baby formula, my local Target implemented a sign limiting how many Stanley cups one can purchase. While I have heard plenty of positive feedback, at the end of the day it will probably be out of style in a matter of months. 

You won’t hear any Alix Earle slander from me, but the impact she has on certain products, specifically makeup, is insane. Simply because of videos that she has posted, she has sold out the Mielle hair oil, some shades of Rare Beauty’s liquid blush, the Tweezerman eyelash curler, the Retrofête alphabet earrings, Charlotte Tilbury’s contour wand and much more. While disappointing for many that loved these products beforehand, this has given smaller brands the opportunity to help people save money with dupes of these products. Creators have even made Alix Earle makeup tutorials with only dupe products.

I’m not here to put down anyone that found a product they love because of social media. Social media is the perfect medium for brands to get their name out there without formal advertising. However, I believe that our country has a consumerism issue. Perhaps consider if you have a similar product that does the same job before purchasing. If you still want the new product, maybe donate the one you have now or give it to a friend. 

Layne Rey is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.