Lately with Layne: My thoughts on Jennette McCurdy’s 'I’m Glad My Mom Died'

Most members of Gen-Z know Jennette McCurdy from "iCarly" or "Sam & Cat;" her character, Sam Puckett, made us laugh for years. However, behind the scenes, years of physical, emotional and mental abuse plagued McCurdy throughout her young life. 

McCurdy was, for lack of a better term, "off the grid" until she published her book on Aug. 9, 2022. When I saw the title, "I'm Glad My Mom Died," I was shocked. My mom and the former journalist inside of her only identified the title as one of expertise, so she bought it for me. While it was the most awkward Christmas present I've ever received, I'm thankful to have been exposed to the below-the-surface aspects of a celebrity's life in such a humble and authentic way. 

The book holds 91 chapters, most of which bluntly reveal something about the child actress's life. While all super short, the chapters unpack taboo topics like eating disorders, substance abuse, family dynamics, sexual abuse, codependency, OCD and religion. These topics are difficult to discuss, but having a celebrity vulnerably shares her experiences creates an odd sense of comfort. 

The book opens with her first memories of acting. Spoiler alert: it was never something McCurdy wanted to do. It's what her mom, Debra McCurdy, wanted. She details the hardships of the acting industry, the body image issues she developed and her mom's longtime struggle with cancer. Throughout the first half of the book, she refers to inappropriate encounters with Nickelodeon's Dan Schneider (whom she calls The Creator), her OCD (which she thought was a religious voice in her head) and the physical and emotional turmoil her mother put her through. 

The second half of the book is called "After." This starts after her mom passes. McCurdy was 21 years old, freshly living in her own home and exploring things like alcohol and sex. Any reader could tell that her mother's death affected McCurdy deeply despite the memoir's title. The title is the only time she blatantly says that she's glad her mom died; however, throughout the book's second half, it's mostly implied. She begins going to therapy to work out some of the issues her mom projected onto her. In the last two chapters, she seems better than she ever has before. It felt like watching someone grow up that I've never had a personal relationship with (even though she is older than me). 

"I'm Glad My Mom Died," is a first of its kind. McCurdy doesn't put on the facade that being a celebrity is all that it appears to be and speaks honestly and genuinely about her experiences. Even if reading isn't your thing, you can find McCurdy reading the book herself here. I highly recommend this book as an insight into what was going on beneath the surface of Sam Puckett's smile in iCarly. 

Layne Rey is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.