Ranking the top 5 most romantic movies, books, and tv shows for Valentine’s Day

Whether you are spending Valentine’s Day with someone special or just planning on showing yourself some love, there are plenty of romantic movies, tv shows and books to consume this holiday. To make your celebration easier, we have ranked the top 5 in each category. 

Top 5 romance movies

5. “Titanic”

Although this film is a retelling of the tragic sinking of the Titanic, it is told through one of the most iconic love stories in film history. The characters of Jack and Rose have gone down as one of cinema’s most heart-wrenching couples, and their story is the perfect one to laugh and cry to, surrounded by the people you love.

4. “Before Sunrise”

This 90s movie is one of the few to have earned a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. In this movie, the heart-throb actors Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy play a pair of strangers who meet on a train traveling through Europe and decide to spend the evening together in a romantic city. The dialogue was mostly improvised by the two actors and is 1 hour and 45 minutes of pure love. This movie will make you fall in love with casual conversation, the city of Vienna, and the majesty of chance. 

3. “10 Things I Hate About You” 

“10 Things I Hate About You” is a modern-day adaptation of Shakespeare’s “Taming of the Shrew”, and it is one of the timeless staples of the late 90s. This story contains every classic rom-com trope - redemption, unlikely lovers, and a dramatic fight at prom. Nothing quite compares to the performances of Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles, who seamlessly convince the audience that they are the true love story of the century. 

2. “Dirty Dancing”

While there are many 80s classics that could have made the list, “Dirty Dancing” is a step above all the rest. The film takes place at a summer camp where families are taught to dance, and the main character has to accelerate her dance education as she falls head over heels with one of the instructors. This movie includes some of film history’s most iconic scenes, lines, and songs that will make you fall in love with the era. 

1. “Sleepless In Seattle” 

The classic duo of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan shine brighter than ever in his movie. The film ends with a grand romantic gesture on Valentine’s Day in New York City, making it the perfect watch for the holiday. “Sleepless In Seattle” is guaranteed to make you emotional in a million different ways, and will give you a newfound appreciation for all you take for granted. 

Top 5 romance books 

5. “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo”

“The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” tells the story of an old Hollywood celebrity recounting her numerous marriages to an unknown reporter, and is a beautifully told story about love and regret that anyone would enjoy.  

4. “Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda” 

This novel was written in 2015, and was made into the film “Love, Simon” in 2018. This story redefined what romantic comedies could be for LGBTQ+ youth who had rarely seen themselves so well represented in the media. While the actual plot is an average and predictable love story, the fact that it centers around a young man struggling to come to terms with his sexuality is a comfort for young people going through the same thing. 

3. “Normal People”

Sally Rooney’s 2018 novel is one of the great love stories of the current age. The honesty and sincerity behind each interaction and line of dialogue makes it stand out among the rest of the romance novels being published today and sends the relationship of Marianne and Connell over the top. 

2. “The Fault In Our Stars” 

John Green is certainly one of the most iconic creators of the 21st century, a title which he initially gained through this book. Most people who entered their young adult phase in the 2010s have wept over “The Fault In Our Stars”, and decided that they want to experience a love like Hazel Grace and Gus at least once in their lives. 

1. “Pride and Prejudice”

Few classic novels have transcended time quite like “Pride and Prejudice” has. Jane Austen tells the story of a developing love story between two unlikely people, a trope which has been recreated countless times in modern literature. Essentially the first enemies-to-lovers story, “Pride and Prejudice” is a story that every hopeless romantic should read once in their life.  

Top 5 romance TV shows 

5. “Friends” 

While many people have deemed “Friends” to be overrated, there is something so comforting about the found family portrayed in this show. “Friends” contains plotlines with both romantic and platonic relationships that will inspire you to tell everyone in your life that you’re grateful to have them. 

4. “Grey’s Anatomy” 

Few shows have run quite as long as “Grey’s Anatomy”, and while the hospital show is certainly known for its corny and melodramatic tropes, the show is a guilty pleasure that few who start it can deny. Meredith Grey and Derek Shepard are one of television's most iconic couples, for good reason that will be made obvious to anyone who watches. 

3. “Atlanta” 

Created by Renaissance-man Donald Glover, “Atlanta” is an endearing show with an incredibly talented cast and brilliant script. The many relationships explored throughout the course of the show are honest and heartwarming and will encourage you to stick by those you love through anything. 

2. “Schitt’s Creek” 

The award-winning and critically-acclaimed sitcom “Schitt’s Creek” ended in 2020, and has left a massive hole in the comedy television scene ever since. The show is a testament to the resilience of family, and also contains many adorable relationships to care about. The show is hands down one of the most comical that has been made in a long time, and it will be tough for future shows to outdo it. 

1. “New Girl”

This sitcom with a quirky premise and lovable cast is one of the most iconic ones of the generation. No show exemplifies the “found family” trope quite like this one, along with also containing some of the most well-written and fleshed out romances in recent television. Few people have watched this show and not become immediately hooked on the characters, the story and the love. 

@sophia.rooksberry

sr320421@ohio.edu