Artist Spotlight: Lola Young is one to watch out for ahead of sophomore debut

Lola Young is one of British pop’s rising stars with a diverse and creative background that has aided her as she only continues to get more recognition for her grave vocals and gutsy lyrics. While the singer only started dropping music four years ago, she has worked immensely, following in the footsteps of artists such as Adele and Amy Winehouse.

Young was born in south London, attending The Brit School where Adele and Winehouse attended. Right away, she was signed by Nick Huggett and Nick Shymansky, who both now manage Young, but both worked with those major pop stars as well. 

The way Young caught their attention was through her soulful voice and vivid storytelling. In an interview with British Vogue back in 2021, she said, “I mix different subjects in one song – family, relationships, politics – it’s never straightforward.” 

Following her signing to Universal Music, the singer dropped her first album, “Intro” at just 18 years old in 2019, which consisted of seven tracks. Its breakthrough song “6 Feet Under” gained critical acclaim from publications such as The Guardian, The Sunday Times and British GQ, getting radio support as well from the BBC’s Annie Mac and Gilles Peterson, Spotify and Apple Music. 

Young also worked with well-known producers on “6 Feet Under” such as Al Shux, who’s worked with artists such as Kendrick Lamar, Lana Del Rey and Jay Z. “Blind Love,” another single off the album, saw the singer collaborating with producer Two Inch Punch, who has produced for artists like Sam Smith and Rex Orange County.

The Guardian said that “Blind Love” “is all about being ‘young, in love and dumb’ and perfectly encapsulates the teenage emotion of ‘if he doesn’t love me back, I may as well be dead.’” 

Meanwhile, Clash praised “6 Feet Under,” saying, “It’s beautifully pieced together, with the Al Shux co-produced number originating from sparse piano-driven sessions. Evolving into something more nuanced and atmospheric, it features some of Lola Young’s most striking, revealing lyrics yet.”

In that year, Young reflected on her first album with udiscovermusic, where she said, “It reflects where I am today, it reflects my London, my circle, my eclectic taste in everything around me, and gives me a place to raise my deepest thoughts, demons and my largest joy which has always and will always be music.”

A year later, the singer dropped three more songs, including “Pick Me Up,” “Same Bed” and “None for You.” Yet, 2021 saw Young really branch out with her music, releasing over eight songs after facing isolation because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Her work ethic caught the attention of the BRIT Awards, shortlisting her for their “Rising Star” award in 2022.

2022 saw Young develop more as an artist, creating more new music, and unveiling new tracks such as “So Sorry” and “Stream of Consciousness,” which saw the singer admit her flaws and anger with the way relationships have worked out for her in the past. Her relatability and maturity made waves, allowing her to blow up on social media for her candidness.

Now 22 years old, the singer is gearing up to release her second studio album this May, called “My Mind Wanders and Sometimes Leaves Completely.” So far, Young has released three songs off the album, the most striking one being “Don’t Hate Me.”

“Don’t Hate Me” centers around people serving as illusions, leading people on and messing with their heads which Young laments about as she sings, “I think that I love you but it's hard / Just to be around you / You said I'm gonna be a big star / Don't lie to my face.” With just these three singles out, it’s evident that the singer has matured immensely, her voice stronger than before.

Catching up with Clash again in a recent interview, Young said her new record will fixate more on love but will combine her own experiences and perspectives throughout its tracks. Wanting to enhance her sound by using techniques such as freestyling and genre-bending, the singer’s sophomore debut is likely to be one of 2023’s most authentic albums.

In terms of “Don’t Hate Me,” she said, “...this song is actually me talking to myself in the chorus, but also reflecting – it’s saying to somebody else, ‘don’t hate me, but you’re not what I thought you was.’ I’m flipping it, so it’s like, ‘don’t hate me, don’t put it on me, but you’re not what I thought you was’. And that’s the beauty of wanting to not be hated for something that’s not your problem.”

With just shy of two months until her next release, Lola Young is a pop star to watch out for her candid nature and keen sense of perspective and maturity, which is obvious in everything she creates.

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu