Weekender Briefs: Reflect on OU’s history, dive into new adventures and more

Friday, March 10

Mapping the Historical Range Books of W.E. Peters: An Exploration of Athens County, Ohio Past and Present will be at 30 Park Place inside Alden Library all day. Located on the fifth floor, the exhibit will feature content from local historical scrapbooks compiled during the 1930s and 1940s by W.E. Peters. There will also be an interactive map of Athens County, featuring over 500 historical sites recorded by students.

Attendance: Free

Musical Instruments of the World by University Libraries will be in Glidden Hall’s Music and Dance Library, located at 3 Health Center Dr. The rotating exhibit show will consist of instruments from the collection of Dr. Paschal Yao Younge. Attendees will also learn about music and cultural life in places such as Afghanistan, Ghana and India. The event is all day.

Attendance: Free

Documenting Kenya’s Endangered Cultures & Wildlife is from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Schoonover Center 140, located at 20 E. Union St. The exhibit features the work of Ohio University alumni Jim Koenigsaecker’s images of the natural beauty and culture of Kenya. 

Attendance: Free

Saturday, March 11

“Fruiting Bodies,” an MFA Thesis Exhibition by Mel Fisher will take place from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Seigfred Hall on 20 Church St. Hosted by the College of Fine Arts, ceramics MFA Mel Fisher will be presenting her exhibit “Fruiting Bodies.” 

Attendance: Free

Appalachian Trail Spring Break Backpacking Trip by Bobcats Well-Being and Campus Recreation will be from March 11 to March 18. In partnership with Outdoor Pursuits, attendees will go on a backpacking trip along the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina. Participants will learn how to backcountry cook, as well as camp and navigate the trail.

Attendance: $450, includes camping and backpacking equipment, food, transportation and instructors

Shamrock Showdown will take place at the Athens Community Center on 701 E. State St. from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Featuring the Athens Ohio Roller Derby, the showdown is an intramural scrimmage between the Naughty Leprechauns and the Lucky Clovers. Doors open at 1 p.m.

Attendance: $8 online, $10 at the door, children under 10 get in free

Sunday, March 12

Margaret Boyd 150: OHIO Founders Day 2023 will take place online. The exhibit will feature Margaret Boyd, the first woman to graduate from OU in 1873, and her accomplishments. The event marks 150 years of women graduating from the university.

Attendance: Free

Travels (to Athens) With a Brush will also be on the third floor of Alden Library at 30 Park Place. Available to view all day, the art exhibit will take a tour through the artwork and practice of Harris Fine Arts Library donor and namesake Frederick Harris during his visit to OU in the 1990s. 

Attendance: Free

Ohio Baseball vs. Bowling Green will see Ohio play the third game of a three-game series against Bowling Green on Sunday at 1 p.m. The series opens Ohio’s Mid-American Conference play. The game will take place at Bob Wren Stadium, located at 140 S. Shafer St. 

Attendance: Free for students, $2 for non-students

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu