A history of K-pop music

K-pop has become a dominant genre in mainstream music thanks to acts such as BTS and BLACKPINK. The music industry has expanded its range of diverse artists and perspectives. Yet, many music lovers don’t truly know its origins, nor do they clearly understand how the genre will continue to impact the future of music. Look no further; here is a history of K-pop music:

First, K-pop, or Korean pop, originates from South Korea, drawing influences from other genres such as pop, experimental, rock, hip-hop, R&B, electronic and dance. Many songs are also inspired by traditional Korean music, usually containing Korean lyrics mixed with English lyrics throughout.

The genre grew relevant in the 1950s with the Korean-born pop trio The Kim Sisters. They performed soulful renditions of American pop songs of the time, gaining more of a following during the Korean War. The trio also appeared on “The Ed Sullivan Show” 22 times and were the first Korean singers to have a song appear on the U.S. Billboard chart. 

Laying the groundwork for future artists, more K-pop artists emerged in the 1970s, and many artists began utilizing political activism in their music. These themes came to fruition through Kim Min-Ki, a folk-rock singer and composer. In 1970, he wrote “Morning Dew,” a song about the pro-democracy movement during major U.S. events such as the Vietnam War, allowing Korean music to be taken more seriously by the public. 

20 years later, the K-pop group Seo Taiji and Boys appeared on the scene. With its hip-hop choreography, the group gained a massive following. Many critics consider them the first major K-pop group in music history. Soon, the 1990s became a place for more Korean acts to thrive.

Acts such as H.O.T.SECHSKIES and S.E.S., made up of trained K-pop stars and dancers, were also considered some of the first K-pop groups. H.O.T. released their song “CANDY” in 1997, becoming a massive hit in North and South Korea. This group became known as the “First Generation” in K-pop from the 1990s into the early 2000s.

The “Second Generation” followed, lasting from the early 2000s into the 2010s. One group, G.o.d., or Groove Over Dose, debuted in 1999, starting the transition into the next generation of K-pop stars. Following the same blueprint as their predecessors, G.o.d. became one of the most popular boy bands of the early 2000s in South Korea. Next came pop duo TVXQ!, who released their first hits in 2003. Other groups such as SUPER JUNIOR and BIGBANG arrived in 2005 and 2006, while FTISLAND made their mark in K-pop in 2007.

We’re currently in the “Third Generation,” which began in the early to mid-2010s. This generation is arguably K-pop’s most successful, as many groups have integrated themselves into the mainstream. Groups such as BTS, EXOSEVENTEEN and BLACKPINK are the current best sellers in the genre, with many headlining some of the world’s biggest music festivals such as Coachella, Lollapalooza and the Global Citizen Festival.

These groups have been massively successful in other countries because of their social media presence, which the two generations before them did not have. Since the creation of sites such as TikTok and Instagram, K-pop has reached users worldwide, allowing them to have advertising content, streaming and revenue sales from albums and merchandise. 

Meanwhile, K-pop has also dominated the world of streaming, with BTS, BLACKPINK, TWICE and Stray Kids surpassing over five billion streams on Spotify in the last few years, a feat that many American artists have not been able to achieve.

So, if you’re looking to expand your musical palette, K-pop music is the next genre to explore, as it’s already becoming one of the world’s most popular art forms. With fun, inspiring and influential songs and artists, this genre is an inclusive space for all listeners to sing, dance or even cry. It is definitely worth one’s time to explore.

@grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu