8 creepy songs to add to your perfect Halloween playlist

As we enter the season of Halloween parties, one of the main priorities when hosting a Halloween get-together is crafting the perfect playlist for your guests to vibe with. Luckily, we’ve got you covered. Continuing my article from last year that lists 15 tracks to get you ready for the spooky season, here are eight more songs for you to add to your perfect Halloween playlist:

"Dead As F**k" by Motionless In White

First on this list is "Dead As F**k" by metalcore band Motionless In White. Inspired by James Whale's "The Bride of Frankenstein" (1935), this song details the narrator falling in love with a dead woman and making love to her. The instrumentals are harrowing with shrill guitar riffs, drilling electro-beats and spooky theremin.

Lead singer Chris Motionless' vocals are deep and demented as he drones the song's verses, but his vocals during the chorus are frayed as he screams, "She's my graveyard baby / She's my horror queen." The band continues this storyline on their next album with a song entitled "Not My Type: Dead as F**k 2." It's a lot more electronic-sounding, but it keeps up with the spooky thematics from the first part.

"It's Almost Halloween" by Jon Walker

The next track is Jon Walker's cover of "It's Almost Halloween" by Panic! At The Disco. The original is not on streaming platforms, but Panic! At The Disco's former bassist, Jon Walker, released a slowed-down, stripped-back cover of their track back in 2020. It's a chilling track with its shallow-sounding acoustic guitar, ominous bells and melancholy strings. The sorrowful instrumentation opposes the song's jovial lyrics that depict the excitement leading up to Halloween. In all, both tracks are essential for your perfect Halloween playlist.

"Kidnap the Sandy Claws" by Korn

Picking up the pace is Korn's cover of "Kidnap the Sandy Claws" from Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas" (1993). This cover turns the fragile original into a nu-metal banger with its chugging guitar riffs, metallic bass lines and drilling drums. The vocals of Korn's lead singer, Jonathan Davis, are gravely and frayed as he sings/screams the song's playful lyrics. It's a distinct tone that only Jonathan Davis can pull off, which he does with vigor and excitement. For any metal and "The Nightmare Before Christmas" fan, this is a must-have for your Halloween playlist.

"Magic Dance" by David Bowie

Next up is the mystical track "Magic Dance" by David Bowie from Jim Henson's fantastical adventure film, "Labyrinth" (1986). It's a bit of a tone switch compared to the other creepy tracks on this list, but its ineffable supernatural energy is unmistakable.

Its iconic groovy synthesizers, booming drums and bubbly bass make for a classic '80s tune. The sparkling sound effects, features from the goblin creatures of the film and Bowie's other-worldly vocals turn this '80s track into something truly magical. Overall, "Magic Dance" by David Bowie will have you dancing all October long.

"Hex Girl" by Moon Sisters, The Nostalgia Girls

The next song on this list is the Moon Sister's cover of "Hex Girl," originally by The Hex Girls, a fictional gothic rock band from the Scooby-Doo film and TV franchise. There is virtually no difference between the cover and the original, as they both include a fuzzy electric guitar, a steady drum beat and a bumbling bass line. The song is bewitching as the entrancing vocals bring out the witchy vibes of the track's lyrics. It's the perfect song to have on your spooky playlist, especially if you're a fan of the Scooby-Doo franchise.

Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads

Up next is the groovy new wave tune "Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads. The song is fairly simple with its bouncing basslines, twangy guitar and harsh snare drum. David Byrnes' warbly vocals carry the track as he sings about the thoughts of serial killers.

The song was initially inspired by serial killer Norman Bates from Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho" (1960), but many listeners associate the song's creepy temperament with the Son of Sam serial killings that occurred just a year before the song's release. It's an off-putting track with eerie instrumentals and an infamous pop culture inspiration, making it the perfect track for your Halloween playlist.

"Werewolf" by Motionless In White

Motionless In White claims another place on this list with their pop-rock hit "Werewolf." This song draws from influences such as Michael Jackson, Rockwell and Muse, yet it keeps with the band's metalcore sound in the track's booming drums and shiny guitar riffs.

Although the song is a metaphor for mental health, the striking lyrical imagery of the narrator feeling his skin rip apart as he turns into a werewolf is enough to evoke strong feelings. The wolf-howling sound effects, Chris Motionless' demented vocals and sparkling chimes only make the song's lyrical content all the more spooky. Moreover, it's a solid Halloween track, and you should add this song to your playlist, even if the metal aspects of the song are not your cup of tea.

"People Are Strange" by The Doors

Last but not least on this list is The Doors' psychedelic rock tune, "People Are Strange." The song is sonically simplistic but has a bright, twangy guitar, cabaret piano and steady drum beat. Lead singer Jim Morrison's vocals are delicate yet warbling as he sings about feeling alienated from the people around him.

Some horror fans might associate this song with Joel Schumacher's horror comedy "The Lost Boys" (1987), which Echo & the Bunnymen covered for the movie's soundtrack. Nevertheless, "People Are Strange" is a staple track on any Halloween playlist.

@brookekillslive

bp655221@ohio.edu