Darn It, Daniel: We are on the cusp of movie renaissance

As many of you know, I am a man of the arts. As people with divine taste, Rufus and I go out on the town to admire art and watch films at the cinema. When people say the word "renaissance," you typically think of Leonardo, Michelangelo and all those other painters who were named after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. But when I hear "renaissance," I think about times like the '80s. It was a time when Michael Jackson was loved by all, going to the movies every weekend was the cool thing to do and Harrison Ford was young, cool and awesome (he's still cool and awesome, just not young). So, with my divine taste in all things art and movies, here is why we are on the cusp of a movie-making renaissance: 

Since I am, without a doubt, a hunk of a man, I love "Top Gun." Naturally, I went to see the sequel. When I first saw "Top Gun: Maverick," I thought it was basically the same plot as the original film, but I still loved it. Then, I saw the wave of people losing their minds over it online, and I was curious as to why they were so amped up. 

Many of these people were not die-hard fans like me, and many hadn't even seen the original film. In 1986 and 2022, people walked into the theater excited to watch Tom Cruise on the big screen and walked out with buzz cuts and aviator sunglasses. I wondered why people had the same reactions to both movies and then it hit me: "Top Gun" got people not only excited to see a new movie, but excited to go to the movie theater, too. 

Am I saying that "Top Gun" single-handedly did this? No, not at all. But COVID-19 left people missing the movie theater experience after the only thing delivered during the pandemic was corporate movies on a corporate platter. The only way to watch new movies was via streaming services like Netflix or Disney because they had the big budget to forgo the usual ticket sales and huge premieres. This left people with superhero movies they had seen hundreds of times, which got old fast.

Coming out of the pandemic, there was a fire in people's hearts to make new movies and creators came out in full force with "Top Gun" Maverick," "The Batman," "Avatar 2," "Everything Everywhere All At Once," "Barbie," "Oppenheimer" and even "Magic Mike's Last Dance." Okay, maybe not that last one, but we can all agree Channing Tatum is a cool guy. 

I get amped just looking at that list of movies, but the hype from this string of great movies came to a screeching halt when the actors and writers strike came about. While the writers are back, the actors are not. Once the actor's strike is resolved, I think a creative fire in their hearts will bring them back to the big screen with double the creative power.

In a decade, we will look back and think about how no one could've predicted how good the movies in the 2020s would be. When that day comes, I want you to remember this column and give me credit where credit is due. But if I'm wrong and the film industry completely tanks after this, pretend you never saw this column.

Daniel Gorbett is a freshman at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Daniel know by emailing him at dg371822@ohio.edu