Quinntessential: A pledge’s perspective on OU greek life

Many claim that one must rush a fraternity to have a true college experience. Rushing never seemed like an enticing option to me as someone who wasn't a self-proclaimed party animal. On the other hand, my parents thought it would be an easy way to make lifelong friends, network and fulfill a bunch of other buzzword perks associated with fraternities. Eventually, I decided to give the whole experience a try, and it is a decision I've come to love.

I won't say Ohio University's Greek life is entirely different from how it's depicted in the movies. However, OU's Greek life offers much more than its on-screen stereotypes. 

A big topic of discussion about Greek life is the presence of hazing, a subject that made me unsure about my decision to rush. Additionally, what I had heard from my parents and older friends gave me good reason to worry. However, my worries quickly diminished as my fraternity emphasized its no-hazing policy, and we pledged not to engage in any activities that may leave us uncomfortable. 

Another worry I had when rushing was the thought of being shunned and outcast for not living a party-heavy lifestyle. I feared I wouldn't be able to relate to my soon-to-be brothers because I'm not a drinker or smoker. Once again, in the short time I have rushed, I was proven wrong. Sure, drinking, smoking and partying are a big part of my frat, but it's not the only thing people talk about, nor do they build their whole personality around partying.

There are always frat brothers down to clown around and get into shenanigans that don't necessarily involve drugs and alcohol. There are plenty of houses within my fraternity's ownership and there always seems to be action going down at one of the houses.

Another thing my fraternity does to differentiate itself from stereotypes is its emphasis on getting your schoolwork done. My fraternity reminds us constantly that schoolwork always comes before any meeting or assignment in the frat. Plenty of men in my fraternity major in different subjects and always seem willing to help a pledge in need.

One thing that may not be explicitly said about rushing is that it becomes another class you have to study for, stress about and pass to become a fraternity member. Knowing the history of your fraternity is essential to success in pledging.

OU's reputation as a party school precedes itself. Many realize the pedestal that OU once stood on as a top party school has been knocked down a few pegs, but you can still have a good time if you're looking for a party. That statement rings true with OU's Greek life as well. Although Greek life may not be as extreme as it once was, fraternity life has adapted to the world we know today and has become more open to those who may not be in the market of extreme rituals that make people uncomfortable. 

I'm not saying that frat life is something you can go into and coast by– it's actually quite the opposite. The brotherhood takes its history very seriously and will need to be treated as such if one plans to join a fraternity. I feel that frat life has become easier to join in terms of a moral standpoint, which is essential for an amazing college experience in today's day and age.

Quinn Elfers is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Want to share your thoughts about the column? Let Quinn know by emailing him at me989022@ohio.edu