Piper’s Place: Combating seasonal depression

Daylight savings time ended on Nov. 5, making many college students prepare for seasonal affective disorder (SAD). SAD, or seasonal depression, typically occurs when days become shorter and climates become colder. With the sun setting at 5 p.m. and most classes ending around that time, people assume that their day is pretty much over. But how does one get ahead of seasonal depression?

Seasonal depression can happen to anyone, even people who don’t label themselves as having mental illnesses. Symptoms include feeling sad, gaining weight, having less energy and separating yourself from social activity. Many people experience more anxiety during this time as well. Homework starts piling up and the feeling of being burned out comes to mind. A lot of people don’t realize how much sunlight affects moods.

During the winter months, it is hard to receive enough sunlight to boost serotonin. Without that normal amount of serotonin, your brain could be triggered into a depressive mode. From the hours of 6-10 p.m., people with seasonal depression often head back to their dorm and watch TikTok for hours with no motivation to do homework or hang out with friends. With finals approaching in December, seasonal depression is not what students need to succeed. 

Seasonal depression can be conquered by getting as much vitamin D as you can while the sun is up. Bundling up for the weather and just taking a walk to get coffee could be your solution. During your free time, prioritizing hobbies, working out or doing things you enjoy that aren’t lying in bed could help combat SAD. Wake up earlier than normal to get the full sunlight of the day, rather than waking up at noon and getting only five hours of light. Force yourself to hang out with your friends and make time for those social interactions. 

As cliche as it sounds, eating healthier could help energy levels. Eating a vitamin D3-rich food boosts energy levels and could convince your brain to think you were on the beach all day. Instead of grabbing Chipotle for dinner, head to the dining halls and make a salad with eggs, cheese and salmon. If you want to run the extra mile, check out CVS and get D3 vitamins.

If you rely on natural lighting to brighten your room, buy a sunset lamp or more ambient lighting to get you out of your funk. Your mood relies heavily on the way your room looks. If your laundry is three piles too big, head to the laundry room. If your trash has your Buffalo Wild Wings container from three weeks ago, bring that down while your clothes are being washed. Little things like this can make you feel more motivated and before you know it, you’ll look forward to doing homework and living life stress-free.

If you’ve never experienced this type of depression before, try therapy. Although as scary as it may be, therapy will guide you into becoming a mentally stronger person. Seasonal depression can be conquered if you take the steps to do it. It may be painful but your grades and ultimately your future self will thank you. 

Suzanne Piper is a sophomore at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Suzanne know by tweeting her @_suziepiper.