Fresh Finds Friday: New music from alt-pop, rap scene

Happy Friday! It has been another week with lots of tunes, and we have new music from Declan McKenna, girl in red and more.

Here are five new songs you should check out:

"hella (˃̣̣̥╭╮˂̣̣̥) ✧ ♡ ‧º·˚ " by 1999 WRITE THE FUTURE

Hip-hop collective 1999 WRITE THE FUTURE, or simply 1999, has taken the scene lately with its singles, featuring artists such as Rick Ross, Rich Brian BADBADNOTGOOD and more. The collective recently released its debut album, “hella (˃̣̣̥╭╮˂̣̣̥) ✧ ♡ ‧º·˚, which features weird stylizations in the various track names that hint at the colorful tones. 

The tracks vary from slow-paced songs like “COuGhDrOPs” and “BiG IsLaND jazz hOUr” to the more fast-paced “StiCKy piCtuRe SyNDroMe.”Each track shares a common summer vibe through different experimentations of jazz undertones and futuristic bass beats.

"Too Much" by girl in red 

Norwegian singer-songwriter Marie Ulven Ringheim, known by her stage name girl in red, returns with her new single “Too Much.” The single gives us a look into her forthcoming project, “I’m Doing It Again Baby!,” which will follow her 2021 debut LP, “if i could make it go quiet.”

“I’ve always been told I'm too much, throughout my whole childhood and in my adult years,“ Ringheim said "Getting shut down when I’m at my happiest or most excited made me feel self-conscious, alienated and weird.”

You can check out the accompanying music video for the record here.

"I Write The News" by Declan McKenna

Declan McKenna went viral at 16 years old with his hot indie pop single “Brazil,” and the press followed. He never asked to be the voice of his generation or “the big sensationalist slogans they (the media) put on me.” But McKenna addresses some serious topics — ranging from transgender suicide, LGBTQIA+ rights and police brutality — in his debut 2017 album, “What Do You Think About the Car?”

Now he’s back with his new record, “I Write The News,” which intersperses social commentary about “the elites."

"Two Star & The Dream Police" by Mk.gee

Michael Gordon, the New Jersey singer-songwriter, has developed a unique sound over the past few years in his discography under his stage name Mk.gee. Finally releasing his debut full-length album, “Two Star & The Dream Police,” Mk.gee features a tune similar to “Are You Looking Up.” It also contains 11 other songs of various soundscapes from warbled notes and distorted blips to sharp piano notes, which brings a sense of allure to the project

"VULTURES 1" by Kanye West, Ty Dolla $ign

Controversial as of late is rap icon Kanye West, who recently released his latest album, “VULTURES 1” with fellow rapper Ty Dolla $ign. Within its 16-track length come features from collaborators such as Travis Scott, Playboi Carti and Chris Brown. West also uses an interpolation of Donna Summer’s disco classic “I Feel Love” on “GOOD (DON’T DIE),” which Summer stated was unauthorized. However, the album still is in consideration for a No.1 spot on the Billboard 200, with the other option being USHER’s latest release “COMING HOME.”

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu