Olie Beckett, a promising new artist to watch

Olie Beckett is an up-and-coming musical prodigy who has released three singles, one of which is a song called "Heartbeat." Recently, the track was joined by an accompanying music video. 

Beckett first discovered his love of music by engaging with his father's favorite songs and hearing his mother humming as she listened to the radio. Eventually, Beckett began singing along with her and became inspired to pursue that passion more seriously. He began singing at his church, taking voice lessons and auditioning for a countrywide choir.  

One of Beckett's primary influences was his vocal teacher, who had a background in musical theater. She believed the theater was Beckett's future and encouraged him to pursue the theatrics that would go on to add a depth of emotion to his pop music. 

"I have matured my music sense to the trends that I find inspiration in: Harry Styles, SZA and Rosalía," Beckett said in a news release. "It is always easy to find who you like as an artist, but it is harder to find who you are as an artist. That is when the creative process sparkles, after mixing your own personality into a genre or song you created." 

Beckett released "Free," in early January. The song delves into the struggles of balancing personal needs with social responsibilities. The song utilizes a drum machine and other effects to create a lush instrumental background symbolic of the title. Despite the high-energy drums, the song is a mellow and fulfilling listen. 

Another of his songs released in early January is "Entertaining," which furthers his commentary on how his generation is meant to live in today's society. The dramatic chorus and overall electronic sound draws inspiration from Marshmello, whom Beckett admired as a child. The song also features piano and layered harmonies to create a thought-provoking track. 

Beckett released his first song in December 2023, titled "Heartbeat." The song was written and produced by Phoenix Stone (formerly of the Backstreet Boys), and the feel-good early 2000s boy band influence certainly shines through. 

Additionally, the song features a 1950s-style doo-wop bassline and harmonizing background singers to create a vintage feel within the modern track. "Heartbeat" is an exhilarating and vibrant celebration of falling in love with a new crush. It also features high notes that would impress a trained soprano and a fade-out that keeps listeners tapping their feet long after the song ends. 

The "Heartbeat" music video is a visual representation of the euphoric daydream that created the track in the first place. What begins as an average laundromat becomes an electric dance floor as the patrons become infected by the song's rhythm. Each one is overcome by the music and is inspired to dance and embrace human connection and passion. 

After spending a significant amount of time honing his creative process, Beckett has narrowed down his system and recognizes the different factors that make a good song. 

"It is all about the five senses when it comes to songwriting," he said in a news release. "If you have the taste for music, if you have the sense for songwriting, if you have the ear for a melody, if you have the touch for an instrument and the smell of passion - you are good to go." 

Olie Beckett is a name to watch in the music industry. The young artist has displayed impressive musical know-how through his first three releases and is sure to continue growing and evolving as his career continues. 

@sophiarooks_

sr320421@ohio.edu