Fresh Finds Friday: New singles from folk, rock scenes

Happy Friday! With the end of the week in sight, it is another week with new music. This past week, we have new music from ERNEST / Jelly Roll and WILLOW, among others.

Here are five new songs you should check out:

"symptom of life" by WILLOW

WILLOW, also known as Willow Smith, is a well-defined pop and R&B artist, and her brother Jaden has also made a name for himself with various impressive rap records. WILLOW released her new song, "Symptom of Life," on March 12. The song talks about beauty and all that surrounds nature. WILLOW explained on Instagram: "This visual (of the song) is for all the beautiful people who have ever gone into nature with their friends & been guided to a deeper understanding of life together by plant medicine."

"What I Am" by ZAYN

Former One Direction member ZAYN returns with his first single of 2024 with, "What I Am." The track features ZAYN drinking absinthe, running and self-reflecting. "Am I crazy, Am I foolish, Am I stupid," he sings over a soft guitar riff and quiet backing drums. This single has been in the works for years. Zayn shared on Instagram that the single is part of a special project, likely his forthcoming album, "Room Under the Stairs," which will be released May 17. 

"I Went To College / I Went To Jail" by ERNEST, Jelly Roll

ERNEST and Jelly Roll's friendship is highlighted as they team up on "I Went To College / I Went To Jail." Jelly Roll found himself in the spotlight recently after appearing in a congressional hearing about the fentanyl epidemic in the U.S. While ERNEST has co-written for Jelly Roll, this is their first time collaborating as lead vocalists on a song. The song goes on back and forth between two different life paths: one where ERNEST went to college and the other where Jelly Roll went to jail. The song features a cartoon-looking music video you can watch here.

"Sierra Vista" by Richy Mitch & The Coal Miners

Indie folk/rock band Richy Mitch & The Coal Miners consists of long-time friends Mitch Cutts, Nic Haughn and Jakob Ervin. They are primarily known for their self-entitled album "RMCM" with singles such as "Evergreen" and "Lake Missoula," which has a rerelease featuring the band MT. Joy. They released their new single "Sierra Vista," which explores the expectations, loss and pressures that come with a rushed move to new places. The band posted on its TikTok page about the song. 

"Legendary" by Bon Jovi

You read that right. Bon Jovi is still kicking it. The band's 16th studio album, "Forever," will be released June 7. Teasing it with their new bop, "Legendary," the music video features the band rocking out in a CGI grassy field set in space. On the day of the single's release, Bon Jovi told Billboard: "From the writing through the recording process, this is turn up the volume, feel good Bon Jovi." The music video for "Legendary" can be viewed here

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu