LGBT issues showcased through variety of programs during Pride Week

Despite the challenges members of the LGBT community face each day, there is one week out of the year that they come together to show their pride for who they are.

Starting Monday, Ohio University’s Student Senate LGBT Commission — along with the help of Open Doors, SHADES, Black Student Cultural Programming Board, Black Student Union, SAC and the LGBTA Center — will present Pride Week.

Pride Week, which began as Visibility Week in 1992, is commemorated each year to celebrate the LGBT community and educate non-LGBT people about discrimination, issues and terms related to the LGBT community, according to a press release.

The education and experiences that are involved in Pride Week are very important to OU as a whole, said Amelia Shaw, Student Senate’s LGBT affairs commissioner.

“Pride Week is important because there are many events for straight and cis-gendered people each day, so this is a time set aside for the LGBT community,” Shaw said.

The week has 10 official events ranging from a discussion on religion and sexuality to a knitting circle. There is also an annual keynote speaker, which Shaw said is planned almost a year in advance.

After each Pride Week, attendees are given a survey indicating their suggestions for next year. The speaker is then chosen based on the result of the surveys.

“Last year, we had a gay male come in and give a speech,” Shaw said. “After the surveys last year, there seemed to be a big push for a trans-identified speaker.”

To try to meet that demand, this year’s keynote speaker is Mara Keisling, executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality in Washington, D.C.

Keisling is a transgender-identified woman and parent. Keisling has appeared multiple news outlets and is one the leading speakers for transgender equality, according to a press release.

Mickey Hart, head of the LGBTA Center, said that Keisling’s appearance is relevant to many of the issues that that the center has been focusing on this year.

“This year we have put a pretty big focus on helping people focus on gender expression more than in the past,” Hart said. “We really wanted to compliment that by bringing her in to speak.”

Though Pride Week focuses on LGBTA issues, both Hart and Shaw agree that it also celebrates the issues even within the community.

“The LGBT community is very diverse and very far ranging,” Hart said. “In the LGBT community, while there is a lot in common, there are a lot of differences. I think that is what Pride Week helps to show.”

ks574510@ohiou.edu 

If You Go

What: Discussion On Religion and Sexuality

When: 6 p.m. Monday

Where: Multicultural Center, Baker Center room 205

Admission: Free

What: SafeZone Training

When: 2-4 p.m. Tuesday

Where Baker Center Room 233

Admission: Free

What: Keynote Speaker: Mara Keisling

When: 7:30 p.m. Wednesday

Where: Walter Hall Rotunda

Admission: Free

What: Dine and Discuss with Mara Keisling

When: 12-1 p.m. Wednesday

Where: LGBTA Center Baker Room 354

Admission: Free

What: Knitting With Pride

When: 3-5 p.m. Wednesday

Where: LGBTA Center Baker Room 354

Admission: Free

What: Racism in the LGBT Community and Homophobia in the African American

When: 6:30 p.m. Wednesday

Where: Multicultural Center Baker Room 205

Admission: Free

What: Open Doors’ Variety Show

When: 10:30 p.m. Thursday

Where: Casa Cantina, 4 W State Street

Admission: $5

What: Free Anonymous HIV Testing

When: 10:30 a.m-3:30 p.m. Friday

Where: Baker University Center

Admission: Free

What: Volunteer with United Campus Ministry’s Saturday Lunch

When 11:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Friday

Where: UCM 18 North College Street

Admission: Free

What: Open Doors’ Casa Dance

When: 10:30 p.m.-2 a.m. Friday

Where: Casa Cantina, 4 W. State Street

Admission: Free