Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: Council members take a stance on the Dakota Pipeline Issue

Athens City Council members introduced a resolution Monday opposing the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

Council member Jennifer Cochran, D-At large, introduced the measure at this week's city council meeting.

“Though it is far removed for our municipality, we as a city have taken steps to protect our water supply and we want to support the Standing Rock Tribe in protecting their water supply,” Cochran said.

In 2014, council passed a resolution opposing the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ plans to grant permits to an energy corporation allowing the unloading of hydraulic fracturing on the Ohio River, which shares a border with Athens, according to a previous Post report.

Council's Dakota Access Pipeline resolution was drafted in part at the request of some Athens residents.

“Resolutions generally offer local government a chance to formally express an opinion together,” Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, said last week. “But a resolution is a gesture and is not a law.”

In September, activists held a protest Uptown in front of the Athens County Courthouse about the construction of the pipeline, which would be a $3.7 billion project and would run from North Dakota through South Dakota, Iowa and Illinois. Developers say it would transport 470,000 barrels of crude oil per day.

“This pipeline is in violation of many treaties,” Cochran said.

Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, supported the resolution.

“I would like to thank the citizens for bringing it up," Fahl said. "It is an important issue."

Emily Halphen, a representative of a Pennsylvania-based company called Utility Service Partners, also spoke to council about a program aimed at helping homeowners keep up with repairs on their house.

Halphen suggested Athens join a partnership with the company.

The company partners with cities in order to offer homeowners with warranties repairs that are not covered by the city or insurance. This initiative is backed by the National League of Cities.

Homeowners make monthly payments which cover incidents up to $4,000. The city will receive fifty cents for each payment.

Halphen said council members could increase participation in the program by granting the company the right to use the city logo and the signature of a city representative.

Cities and municipalities in Ohio such as Cleveland Heights, Dayton, Fairfield and Deer Park have joined.

Athens would be the first city in southeast Ohio to join the program.

Halphen said the program is one way for the city to improve its infrastructure.

"It seems that the homeowners' portion is forgotten about or the city is not able to do much about it," she said.

@BrookEndale

be278114@ohio.edu