Then-presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks to a crowd during a rally in Cincinnati on Oct. 13. (FILE)

President Donald Trump announces new travel restrictions

President Donald Trump announced new travel restrictions Sunday, restricting almost all travel from eight countries and replacing a portion of the controversial travel ban signed earlier this year. 

The travel restrictions imposed vary by country and are to be phased-in over the next month. 

New travel restrictions will be on certain foreigners from Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen, according to CNN.

"We cannot afford to continue the failed policies of the past, which present an unacceptable danger to our country," Trump said in the White House statement. "My highest obligation is to ensure the safety and security of the American people, and in issuing this new travel order, I am fulfilling that sacred obligation."

Throughout the last three months, the Trump administration used an executive order to ban foreign nationals from six Muslim-majority unless they have a "bona fide" relationship with a person or entity in the country.

Until Oct. 18, individuals with that "bona fide" exception can still apply for visas. After that, the new restrictions will begin. The previous ban affecting those from six-Muslim majority countries officially expired earlier Sunday, and Sudan was removed from the list of affected countries, according to CNN. 

When the previous travel ban was signed during Spring Semester, it prompted strong responses from people in Athens. 

In February, about 70 people were detained for gathering on the fourth and fifth floors of Baker Center in opposition of the ban. The demonstration, which began at the Athens County Courthouse, concluded with students “occupying” Baker Center and refusing to leave until Ohio University was declared a “sanctuary campus.”

Additionally, city and university officials spoke out against the ban. 

“Ohio University welcomes and supports students without regard to their immigration status,” former OU President Roderick McDavis said in a statement in January. “We comply with federal requirements associated with managing our international programs.”

Athens City Council President Chris Knisley previously said, based on national numbers, the ban would have an “immediate impact” on the medical profession locally.

“A substantial percentage of residents who provide medical services in communities, particularly rural communities,” Knisely said. “Many of these residents are immigrants. … They provide some very essential care for us in our region.”

Previously, students potentially affected by the ban were encouraged to contact ISFS at isfs@ohio.edu or 740-593-4330 for guidance.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu