Coca-Cola and Pepsi to sell energy drinks; Ohio football voted favorite to win in MAC East Division

Today is Friday, July 26. Here’s what you need to know:

Happy summer! 

As soda consumption falls in the U.S., Coca-Cola and PepsiCo are attempting to add more appeal to their brands by selling energy drinks, per CNBC

By the end of 2019, Coke plans to sell Coca-Cola Energy in 20 countries. The drink contains naturally-sourced caffeine, guarana extracts and B vitamins. Pepsi will continue to try to move Mountain Dew into the energy drink category and has launched an energy drink called Mountain Dew Amp Game Fuel, which is aimed at video game players. 

Energy drink and energy shot sales have grown in the U.S. by 29.8 percent from 2013 to 2018. With new movements toward more health-conscious lifestyles, sugary soda drinks have fallen out of style. Coke received a 16.7 percent stake in Monster, and the two companies created a long-term distribution partnership. 

Make sure to look out for Coca-Cola and PepsiCo energy drinks, and see if they’re really the key to making their brands relevant. 

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Here’s what you’ve missed from The Post:

The first director of the newly-created Fraternity and Sorority Life department has been announced. (The Post)

Ed Sheeran’s new album is a step in the right direction toward reverting back to his original sound. (The Post)

Ohio University’s football preseason is kicking off, and the team was selected by league media members as one of the favorites to win the Mid-American Conference East Division. (The Post)

The death of YouTube personality Etika sent fans and the YouTube hemisphere into shock. (The Post)

Rapper Waka Flocka Flame is to perform at OU for the second time. (The Post)

You might also want to know…

After a three-year legal battle, a federal judge in North Carolina approved a settlement that allows people to use restrooms of the gender with which they identify. (NBC News)

A college student found a 65-million-year-old Triceratops skull while excavating in North Dakota. (Fox News

Registered sex offender and billionaire Jeffrey Epstein was found injured in his New York City jail cell while awaiting trial on charges of sex trafficking. (The New York Times

@rileyr44

rr855317@ohio.edu