Tinder to add new safety measures in collaboration with Noonlight; Athena Cinema ushers in open caption Mondays for deaf and hearing impaired audiences

Today is Friday, Jan. 24, 2020. Here’s what you need to know:

Good morning, 

Match Group, the parent company of Tinder and many dating apps alike, announced on Thursday that the company is partnering with safety app, Noonlight. Beginning on Jan. 28, users will be able to input specifics of upcoming dates directly in the apps Noonlight feature, which includes a built-in panic button.  

Activating the alert connects users to a live dispatcher with Noonlight, who will then notify the authorities. Privacy concerns arose after the announcement, but a spokesperson for the safety app said, “Noonlight does not share or sell any data, and we only use data to get you help in the event of an emergency.”

Aside from the panic button, users are also receiving a Photo Verification feature, “Does This Bother You?”, and “Undo”. Photo verification works in real time and asks matches to recreate a custom face or photo in order to deter fake accounts. “Does This Bother You?” will ask users if they would like to report or block an account using offensive language. “Undo” allows users to rewrite their responses before sending if offensive language is detected.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

News from The Post:

Here’s how the Athens city budget is looking like for 2020 (The Post)

The Athena Cinema has open caption Mondays for Deaf and hearing-impaired people. (The Post)

Check out the Alumni Chamber Recital happening this weekend (The Post)

Scores and Game Times:

Ohio hockey looks to bounce back this weekend as they travel to Lindenwood University in Missouri. (The Post)

Ohio women’s basketball hopes to extend its winning streak against Bowling Green this weekend. (The Post)

Ohio wrestling is off to a hot start after two victories in the MAC. (The Post)

Podcasts from The Post:

Hosts Riley Runnells and Bre Offenberger discuss Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston's reunion, the new single from Hayley Williams and more on this week's episode of Stay Tuned. (The Post

Athens Weather:

Grab your umbrella and a coat before you leave! Today will be cloudy with a 90% chance for rain showers. The high is 45 degrees today. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

You might also want to know…

The Doomsday Clock was moved 20 seconds closer to midnight. (nypost.com)

CDC issues level 3 health warning for coronavirus. (CNBC.com)

Egyptian priest’s ‘voice’ re-created after 3,000 years. (Globalnews.ca)

@HiltnerJack

jh396418@ohio.edu 

Jack Hiltner

Digital Director