Cas lays his life on the line during Monday’s episode of ‘Supernatural.’ (Photo provided via @TellTaleTV_ on Twitter)

TV Review: Jack goes to the Garden of Eden for Operation Destroy God

Last week's episode of Supernatural set the plan for the rest of the season in motion. Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Jack (Alexander Calvert) adventure into the Bad Place to rescue Kaia (Yadira Guevara-Prip), who's been trapped there all along. During the latest episode, Jack goes to the Garden of Eden per Billie’s (Lisa Berry) next step of Operation Destroy God. Here’s a recap of the episode if you couldn’t watch: 

Alternate Sam and Dean visit Sam and Dean

In the bunker, Sam and Dean get a visit from another version of themselves from another world that Chuck (Rob Benedict) destroyed. Alt-Sam and Dean flash in through a rift riding in a mint green Fiat. 

After the brothers sit down with the visitors, they learn about what Chuck created to fill his Winchester fix. In the alternate world, Sam and Dean are hunters, but they are elitist. Their father spoils them with expensive scotch; they don’t drink beer. For context, Sam wears a man-bun, and Dean has his blazer collar popped. When they hunt, it’s only a domestic business. They have two helicopters, and they get paid because their father turned it into an enterprise — Hunter Corp., from the ground up.

Cas almost dies

Billie explains how now that Jack’s physical body is ready, his spiritual body needs to prepare. 

The team needs to find the occultum, which is a sacred thing that’s been missing for centuries. After some research, the boys track it down to Sister Jo (Danneel Ackles). According to Sister Jo, she did have it, but she gave it to Ruby (Genevieve Padalecki) because Ruby told her it’s worth millions. Ruby apparently kept it in hell and then promptly was stabbed to death, thanks to Sam in the season four finale. 

When the brothers tell Cas (Misha Collins) that they have to go to hell to find the occultum, Cas isn’t thrilled and comes up with his own plan. Jack brings Cas to the brink of death so he’s in The Empty where he finds Ruby, who explains to him that Jo came to her when Michael and Lucifer almost went to war and suggest they go somewhere safe. The occultum can also be a place. Ruby whispers the location to Cas, and just as he tries to leave, The Empty (Rachel Miner) tries to make good on their deal. In the nick of time, Jack brings Cas back from the dead.

The team finds the occultum

Sam, Dean, Cas and Jack arrive at a church where apparently the occultum is hidden. Fighting off hellhounds, they find the object, which is a small ball covered in Enochian text. Jack eats it and is transported to the Garden of Eden. The snake asks him who he’s meant to be. He’s overwhelmed with memories, positive and negative emotions, and suddenly, he’s transported back to the church as a ball of light, wiping out the hellhounds in the process. 

Jack’s soul is back 

Back at the bunker, Jack is physically OK, but spiritually, that’s a different story. His soul is back, and he is emotional about Mary’s death. 

The show’s aware of Cas and the ‘pizza man’  

The beginning highlight clipped together bits about pizza. In episode 10 of season six, Cas is watching a pornographic film and asks, “If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?” Later, in the episode, Cas pushed Meg up against a wall, kissed her and says “I learned that from the pizza man.” 

The highlight mashes together all the times Sam and Dean have eaten pizza on the show. Although odd and out of character for the beginning of the episode, the show does a good job — especially because it’s the last season — of reminding the audience why they fell in love with the show. There’s a big time gap from season six Cas to season 15 Cas, so Collin’s delivery of the lines is charming. 

The show is on pause for now

The episode is the last the audience will see for a while. There are only seven more episodes left in the season; however, it was announced that the show stopped filming due to the coronavirus outbreak. The show’s writer, Andrew Dabb, made a statement via Twitter. 

Supernatural airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on The CW.

@eringardner_

eg245916@ohio.edu