The Athens City-County Health Department on West Union St.

Here's a look at how Athens County compares to the state in COVID-19 numbers

On Sept. 1, there were 396 COVID-19 cases in Athens County. On Sept. 9, there were 447 confirmed cases, according to the Athens City-County Health Department.

There were 10 new cases reported Wednesday.

Athens County has 447 COVID-19 cases — 53 of which are still active — as of Sept. 9. There are 392 people who have recovered in the county, and two deaths. Both were men in their 60s.

During the week of Aug. 30, there were 44 cases reported, making it the highest weekly increase since July 11, according to data from the Ohio Department of Health.

Data from Sept. 8-9 has not yet been entered into the downloadable file.

Athens County sits in the middle for case numbers when comparing to the state, at 45 out of the 88 counties.

The county has the 66th highest number of hospitalizations at 23. It is tied with seven other counties at two deaths. There are only seven counties that have reported one or no deaths.

Women make up 244 of the cases in Athens County, while men make up 203. Men, however, have more hospitalizations, with a total of 12, compared to women at 11. 

People under 30 make up 75% of the cases in the county. Statewide, that number is about 32%.

Ohio University announced on Tuesday that a caregiver to preschoolers at the Child Development Center tested positive for COVID-19.

All activities were suspended until Sept. 18 and the center plans to reopen Sept. 21.

Families and parents were notified immediately, and both preschool classrooms were immediately closed.

“We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and appreciate our families’ patience and understanding as we navigate this unusual time,” Lisa Frasure, Child Development Center director, said in a university news release.

@ian__mckenzie

im581017@ohio.edu