The Athens City-County Health Department on West Union St.

Coronavirus: Athens County reports 1,145 cases, university reports 7.4% positivity rate in random testing

Athens County has reported 1,145 cases, 39 hospitalizations and two deaths caused by the coronavirus, according to the Ohio Department of Health. Of these cases, 255 are active.

Between Oct. 11 and Oct. 17, there were 89 cases reported in the county, 77 of which were from people who are under 30 years old.

About 85% of cases reported in Athens County are from people under the age of 30. At the state level, that number is about 34%.

Ohio University reported on Oct. 16 that it has tested 901 symptomatic students through the COVID-19 hotline, which can be called at 877-682-6819. Of those tests, 450 students on the Athens campus have been positive, while 74 cases are still pending.

Sixty-eight university employees have been tested on the Athens campus. Four have been positive, and another three having pending results.

OU is also testing students living off-campus, who have reported through the hotline.

• 32 students are quarantined due to a possible exposure
  • 28 students are currently in total isolation because they had a positive test or they are symptomatic
  • 19 students are currently isolated due to a positive result.

OU has also randomly tested 2,587 people, according to the COVID-19 dashboard. Of those individuals, 198 have tested positive, which is a 7.4% positivity rate.

The university is investigating 30 students who were found having a “party” in Luchs Hall, which is a hall for students with COVID-19 to isolate in. The students are subject to criminal and university judicial proceedings, according to a university news release.

Students in Jefferson and Tiffin Halls were moved into quarantine Oct. 13 when both of the halls reported coronavirus outbreaks.

@ian__mckenzie

im581017@ohio.edu