Ohio forward Ben Vander Plas (5) is tripped on his way to the basket during the first half of the game against Northern Illinois on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022. The Bobcats beat the Huskies 74-62 after leading for the majority of the game at the Convo.

Men's Basketball: Buffalo scouting report and how to watch

Ohio has a long week ahead. After one of its games was rescheduled due to COVID-19 protocols, Ohio now has to play four games in nine days. The good news? Three of its games will be in The Convo. The bad news is that the first game in its nine-day gauntlet will be on the road. It will travel to Buffalo, New York, to take on Buffalo inside Alumni Arena on Friday.

The last time the Bobcats took on the Bulls, the two programs were on a much larger stage. They haven’t met each other on the court since last season’s Mid-American Conference Championship game. A scheduled regular season meeting is nowhere near as high stakes as the MAC Championship, but both teams are looking to gain ground.

Ohio is second place in the MAC after being knocked out of first place by Toledo last week. Buffalo, while still in the top half of the standings, has suffered three conference losses. Both teams were predicted to fill the top two spots in the standings in the Preseason Coaches Poll.

Here’s a look at the Bulls ahead of Friday’s matchup:

Game information

Opponent: Buffalo

Venue: Alumni Arena (Buffalo, New York)

Time: 7 p.m.

Watch: ESPNU

Listen: Ohio IMG Sports Network

Live stats: Live stats are provided here.

Meet the opponent

Probable starters

11 Jeenathan Williams

42 David Skogman

34 Josh Mballa

10 Ronaldo Segu

33 Maceo Jack

Individual statistical leaders

Points: Williams (19.1 points per game)

Rebounds: Mballa (8.3 rebounds per game)

Assists: Segu (5.0 assists per game)

Field goal percentage: Brock Bertram (80%)

3-point percentage: Lucas Saleh (42.9%)

Free throw percentage: Bertram (100%)

Team statistical profile

Points per game: 80.2

Rebounds per game: 41.8

Assists per game: 14.8

Turnovers per game: 13.1

Field goal percentage: 45.1%

3-point percentage: 33.3%

Free throw percentage: 70.1%

The series

Ohio leads the all-time series 34-19. The two programs last met in the MAC Championship last season, where Ohio ran Buffalo out of Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse 84-69.

Both teams are also led by coaches in the midst of their third seasons with their respective programs. Ohio coach Jeff Boals is 3-2 against Buffalo coach Jim Whitesell since the 2019-20 season.

Player to watch

Williams — The senior ranks fourth in the MAC for points per game and has scored 20 points or more in his last three appearances. Williams ended Buffalo’s loss to Toledo on Tuesday with 24 points, six rebounds and three steals. He’s scored in double figures in every game this season and is one of Buffalo’s best 3-point shooters.

@thejackgleckler

jg011517@ohio.edu