Ohio sophomore Olivia Morlok swims the 500 Yard Freestyle event during Ohio's Senior Day meet at the Aquatic Center on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022.

Swim and Dive: Ohio in 6th place after 2 days of MAC Championships

The Mid-American Conference Championships are underway at the Cooper Pool in Bowling Green, and the Bobcats have been delivering solid performances all around. After two days of competition, the Bobcats have a hold on sixth place.

The first night only included two events, the 200-yard medley relay and the 800-yard freestyle relay. Riley Bunstine, Gabrielle Brust, Julia Strine and Caroline Dunigan made up the 200 medley squad, and they finished in seventh place with a time of 1:40.90. McKenzie Grau, Emma Fortman, Athena Aravantinou and Madeline Marks placed fourth in the 800 freestyle relay with a time of 7:17.63. Ohio closed out the first day of competition tied for fourth place overall and with 54 points total.

The Bobcats had mainly middle of the pack finishes in the second day’s morning preliminary rounds. Fortman finished fourth in the 500-yard freestyle and Brust finished fifth in the 200-yard individual medley. Grau and Dunigan finished the 50-yard freestyle tied for 10th place.

In the 500-yard freestyle finals, Fortman placed fifth with a time of 4:52.55, while Morgan Croaning took home 13th with a time of 4:58.13. Grau competed again in the 50-yard freestyle final, clocking in at 23:12 and coming in ninth place. She was followed closely by Dunigan, who completed the race in 23:22 and took 13th place. Finally, the Bobcats placed fifth in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:32.15.

Junior Halli Siwik finished 11th overall in the 1-meter dive final with a score of 271.30.

The Bobcats are now sixth overall with 132 total points after two days.

@ErionEmma

ee646020@ohio.edu

Emma Erion

Managing Editor