Tracking Trends: Kanye West’s social media posts raise concerns, destroys relationships

Kanye “Ye” West has been finding himself making headlines after making his feelings known about his divorce with Kim Kardashian on social media. 

West and now alleged ex-girlfriend, model and actress Julia Fox, met at a New Year’s Eve party in December 2021 and immediately hit it off. It seemed like West had finally started moving on from Kardashian filing for divorce in February 2021, but that did not end up actually being the case.

Following when she hosted Saturday Night Live, Kardashian and actor and comedian Pete Davidson were seen holding hands in October 2021 on a rollercoaster – this sent the world into a frenzy of dating rumors. 

They have been seen together many times since, implying Kardashian was moving on. To many who have kept their eyes on the situation, they can see West is not happy about it.

“It was really extreme, the way he handled it,” Julie Brown, a freshman studying social work, said. “He did not handle it like an adult at all.”

Saturday afternoon, West posted an all-capitalized handwritten note that said, “Just so everyone knows Cudi will not be on Donda because he’s friends with you know who we all speak in Billie language now.” The “you know who” is speculated to be Davidson. Kid Cudi replied that he doesn’t care, doesn’t want to be on the album and that everyone knows he has been the best part of West’s albums since they started working together. 

West also began calling Davidson “Skete” in his many posts. The origin of the nickname came from West’s Sunday morning post of a meme that puts the faces of a handful of celebrities onto the poster for Marvel’s Captain America: Civil War. 

By Sunday afternoon, West posted a photo of himself holding a notepad with a handwritten note saying his account has not been hacked and included the date: Feb. 13, 2022. 

Concern began to really brew when West posted a photo of a message from Davidson that says he doesn’t want to get in the way of West and Kardashian’s children, he hopes to meet them someday and for them to all be friends one day. West’s caption said Davidson will never meet his kids and the situation escalated from there. 

Mixed in with pleas to reunite with Kardashian, West posted a caption that included him saying, “If you see Skete in real life scream at yhe looser (the loser) at the top of your lungs and say Kimye forever.” 

On Monday, West shared a screenshot of a text from Kardashian expressing concern towards Davidson’s safety, captioning it with a request for no one to physically hurt “Skete” because he is “Going to handle the situation,” himself. Two posts later, West posted another screenshot of a text from Kardashian in which she asked why he won’t keep their conversations private. He responded that it’s because she is his favorite person and he’s her number one fan. 

“I feel bad for Kim,” Jillian Phillips, a freshman studying psychology, said. “It’s kind of scary if you really think about it.”

West posted again in which he didn’t type in all capital letters and seemed to take accountability for his actions, but shortly went back to posting more about Kardashian. Many people see West’s actions as harassment, one Twitter user explaining that he is dressing his actions up as wanting to be a present father but bombarding her with gifts and affection. 

“I know he’s got mental health issues and that affects what he’s doing,” Braden Smith, a junior studying engineering technology and management, said. “I think he’s definitely threatening celebrities and is definitely harassing his (divorced) wife.”

West has also made statements saying God will bring him and Kardashian back together.

Everything was deleted and only two posts remain on West’s account at this time. 

@tatertot1310

tr602819@ohio.edu

Tate Raub

Opinion Editor