Solveig Spjeldnes joins the Athens City Council meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 18, as one of its newest members.

City Council: Design and construction of tennis, pickleball courts delayed

Athens City Council met Monday to discuss an alternate timeline for the design and construction of new tennis and pickleball courts, among other ordinances. 

The new courts were first discussed by Council on Feb. 14, according to a previous Post report. At that time, City Service Safety Director Andy Stone said the City and Safety Services Committee was asking Council for an appropriation of $250,000 for the project. As of Monday, however, Stone said the project was estimated to cost $375,000.

Due to the discrepancies between the estimated costs, and after lengthy discussion of whether to table the ordinance or refer it back to the City and Safety Services Committee, Council voted to refer it back to the committee, which is scheduled to meet Monday. 

Council also authorized Athens Mayor Steve Patterson to extend the city’s agreement with Sunday Creek Horizons, a consulting firm, to improve the city’s prospects for remote work systems. The extension includes an additional $45,000 to spend on the partnership. 

Council also read an ordinance that would authorize the city to enter into a contract with the Washington County Board of Commissioners to provide adequate space to house prisoners.

Councilman Micah McCarey, D-At Large, who read from the ordinance, said it would help preserve the health, welfare and safety of city residents. The ordinance would also declare an emergency, meaning the decision would be in effect immediately if passed, instead of the typical 30-day grace period. 

Additionally, Council discussed an ordinance that would address a $140,000 debt accrued by the city for the purchase of new parking meters. 

@ryanmaxin

rm554219@ohio.edu