Members of the Ohio University Board of Trustees meet in 2019 in Walter Hall (FILE:). 

Board of Trustees: New certificate program to make debut, Board members appointed

Correction appended.

Ohio University Board of Trustees met in committees Monday to pass resolutions for the appointments and reappointments of current Board members and discuss updates to the College Credit Plus Program and the addition of a new certificate program.

Governance and Compensation Committee

The Governance and Compensation Committee passed three resolutions, which recommend to the Board of Trustees the appointments of current members to serve in new and current positions.

The committee voted to recommend the appointment of Board member Janelle Coleman to serve as a National Trustee from July 1, 2022, to June 23, 2023.

The committee also passed a motion to recommend the reappointment of David Moore as the executive secretary of the Board. Moore is also a professor of instructional technology at OU.

It was also recommended to the full board that Joe Trubacz, the current interim vice president for finance and administration, serve as treasurer of the Board of Trustees until June 30, 2023, or until the president appoints a permanent vice president for finance and administration. Trubacz has served as the interim vice president for finance and administration since his appointment in 2021.

Academic and Student Success Committee

The Academics and Student Success Committee discussed a new undergraduate certificate program and strategic updates to OU’s College Credit Plus Program.

Starting in the Fall Semester, students will be able to earn an undergraduate certificate in cyber security. The certificate was developed in collaboration with OU’s College of Business.

Students will be required to take 15 to 16 credit hours, can choose from four information and telecommunication systems classes and will have three required management information systems classes. 

The committee also discussed strategic revisions to OU’s College Credit Plus Program. There are four different strategies the committee has planned to use to recruit more students to participate in the program.

Those strategies include collaborating with school districts to better cater to the needs of the College Credit Plus students. Additionally, the committee plans to offer low-risk classes that will not have a significant impact on young students’ academic records.

Addie Hedges and Maya Morita contributed to this report. 

Correction appended: A previous version of this article identified Janelle Coleman as the current chair of the Board, when Peggy Viehweger is the current Board chair. This article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.

@AddieHedges

ah766719@ohio.edu 

@mayacatemorita 

mm294318@ohio.edu