Weekender Briefs: Watch ARTS/West musical, visit yard sale

Friday, June 3

A Celebration of Contemporary Appalachian Writing will be hosted at 6 p.m. at Stuart’s Opera House, 52 Public Square. Join writers who contributed to "Pine Mountain Sand & Gravel, Volume 24: Appalachian Witness." Take the opportunity to speak with seasoned writers and poets.

Admission: Free

ARTS/West presents "Fun Home", the first show that it has ever officially produced, at 8 p.m. at ARTS/West, 132 W. State St. This show is based on a graphic novel memoir by Alison Bechdel detailing her coming-of-age and coming out story. Put on by the Athens community and Ohio University students, the musical will also be performed June 4, 5,10, 11 and 12. The Friday and Saturday show times will be 8 p.m. and the Sunday matinee will begin at 2 p.m

Admission: $12

Melodk Eye at 10 p.m. at the Smiling Skull Saloon, 108 W. Union St. The Cincinnati band returns to Athens for a night of hybrid reggae, neo-soul and psychedelic rock.

Admission: Free

Saturday, June 4

The Great Athens Yard Sale will be hosted from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Zenner House, 30 Utah Place. Come shop through lots of treasures such as collectibles, holiday decor, housewares and more. All proceeds will go directly to Passion Works. Everything will be marked down 50% at 2 p.m.

Admission: Free

Athens Farmers Market at 9 a.m., hosted by Athens Farmers Market, 1002 E. State St. Shop for locally-grown and locally-made foods and goods at the farmers’ market. Celebrate the 50th anniversary celebration kickoff with visits from Rufus, Ohio Athletics, Southern Ohio Copperheads and more. The market accepts SNAP and EBT as payment options.

Admission: Free

Songwriter Circle Showcase at 7 p.m. at Donkey Coffee & Espresso, 17 W. Washington St. Join a group of 12 songwriters as they display their skills.

Admission: Free

Roadkill Kowboys at 8:30 p.m. at the Redmen Lodge, 7875 Dairy Lane. Join this musical group for a great night out with friends full of classic rock and country hits.

Admission: Free

Rains On Me: The Music of Tom Waits with special guest Bad for Geese at 10 p.m. at Casa Nueva Restaurant and Cantina, 6 W. State St. Get ready to dance to a performance from these Tom Waits enthusiasts.

Admission: Free

Sunday, June 5

Athens Conservancy opens the Mary Beth Art Trail from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Mary Beth Zak Lohse Preserve on Strouds Run Rd. Take a self-guided tour of the trail and enjoy the pieces created by nine Passion Works Studio artists and the activities celebrating the colorful trail.

Admission: Free

@acarter3602

ac732319@ohio.edu