OUPD collects marijuana in Bromley Hall, Sheriff’s Office assists wrong-way driver on US 33

Drugs in Bromley

The Ohio University Police Department reported possession of marijuana in Bromley Hall on Monday. 

The department collected the drug and marked it for destruction. 

Unruly customers

A deputy from the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to 110 N Plains Road, located in The Plains, after receiving a report of a trespasser. 

The complainant reported that an “irate” customer came into a business and was yelling at the staff. The owner reportedly asked the male to leave several times, but he refused. 

The owner said the individual left after they contacted law enforcement. Deputies filed a trespass complaint, and the suspect was served with the complaint. 

Wrong way driver

The Sheriff’s Office and the Athens Police Department responded to US 33 after receiving a report of a motorist traveling the wrong direction on the four-lane portion of the highway. 

Law enforcement located the vehicle and assisted in redirecting the motorist in a safe manner. Units returned to patrol. 

Car crash!

OUPD received a report of a traffic crash at Dairy Lane. The report listed improper starting or backing. No injuries were reported. 

Drunk driver concern

Deputies from the Athens County Sheriff’s Office responded to US 33 and SR 682 in The Plains after receiving a report of a potential intoxicated driver. 

The area was patrolled by deputies, but the vehicle could not be located. No further action was taken. 

‘Don’t go home drunk’ 

OUPD received a report of an intoxicated person in Sargent Hall over the weekend. 

According to the report, the intoxication increased a risk of harm. The individual involved was charged with disorderly conduct by intoxication. 

Cyber threats

The Sheriff’s Office received a report of harassment via social media. 

According to the complainant, the harassment involved threats from a male. The office took a report, and further investigation is currently pending. 

‘You can’t exit here’ 

OUPD reported destruction of property in Brown Hall. There was reportedly damage to an exit sign within the building. 

Stolen motorcycle 

The Sheriff’s Office received a complaint of a motorcycle that had potentially been stolen on Chestnut St. in The Plains.  

Deputies responded to the area that the complainant had described to investigate. They located the motorcycle in a nearby field, which they confirmed had been stolen. 

Deputies then contacted the owner of the motorcycle and released it back to him. The incident is under investigation. 

Fake ID crackdown

OUPD reported a fake or altered ID near College Green. The department also reported criminal mischief in the same report. 

OUPD issued a summons to the individual involved in the two offenses. 

‘I think my home is being broken into’

The Sheriff’s Office received a complaint regarding a possible breaking and entering case on Center St. in Athens. 

Deputies from the office responded to the scene and spoke with the individual who filed the complaint. Deputies found the incident was “inactive” and potentially civil in nature. A report was taken. 

Elementary issues

The Sheriff’s Office dispatched deputies to Connett Road in The Plains after receiving a report of an open-line 911 call. The call sounded like a possible dispute was in progress. 

The call came from an “inactive” cell phone, which was showing a location in an area in front of The Plains Elementary School or inside the school itself. 

When deputies arrived, they checked the area but did not witness a dispute or any other emergency. They subsequently returned to patrol. 

Fake ID issues

OUPD received a report of a fake or altered ID in Perkins Hall. The card was collected for destruction. 

More weed? 

OUPD received a report of possession of controlled substances on Tuesday. OUPD collected marijuana and seized it for destruction.

Intersection accident 

Sheriff’s Office deputies discovered a traffic crash at the intersection of SR 78 and Burr Oak Blvd. in Nelsonville. They stopped at the crash and offered their assistance. 

The Nelsonville Police Department arrived at the scene shortly after to investigate. 

‘Is everything alright here?’

The Sheriff’s Office received a report of an abandoned vehicle on Carr Bailey Road in Millfield. 

The complainant said the vehicle had been there for a few days, and he was worried about the well-being of the owner. The office made contact with a family member of the registered owner who said the owner was hunting and is safe. 

@mollywmarie

mw542219@ohio.edu

Molly Wilson

News Editor