Weekender Briefs: Outdoor activities, theatrical events key for fall

Friday, Oct. 14

Fall Color and Tree I.D. Hike at Burr Oak State Park, located at 10220 Burr Oak Lodge Rd., will take place from 10 a.m. to noon. At this event, attendees will use leaves and bark patterns to identify trees throughout a 1.5-mile hike. Attendees are encouraged to wear boots and will meet at the Nature Center at the park.

Attendance: Free

The Psychedelic Art Opening Party starts at 4:20 p.m. and ends at 8 p.m. Hosted by the Cannabis Museum, its first exhibit, “A Psychedelic Art Experience,” will be on display with posters and original artwork, featuring art made for the Grateful Dead and other musicians. The event is at 16050 Canaanville Rd.

Attendance: $30

Friends of Fright Masquerade Benefit Supporting Athens CASA/GAL will be held at ARTS/West, 132 W. State St., from 7 to 10 p.m. Adult attendees can enjoy appetizers, music from DJ Lodrom, dancing, a silent auction, soft drinks and adult beverages. All proceeds from the costume party go towards Athens CASA/GAL. This agency provides Court Appointed Special Advocates to represent the best interests of children involved in juvenile court due to abuse or neglect.

Attendance: $50

Saturday, Oct. 15

NAMI Athens Walk the Walk is holding its 21st annual Walk the Walk for Mental Health Awareness from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Athens County Courthouse, 1 S. Court St. Attendees should meet at the courthouse to walk down Court Street. The event shows support for those struggling with mental health conditions.

Attendance: Free

Fall-Guided Burr Oak Lake Cruise, Hike and Campfire Social at the Burr Oak Getaways Float Shack has a stacked itinerary for attendees, including a captained pontoon cruise, guided Buckeye Trail hike and a campfire dinner social. The event is located at 10765 Dock 2 Rd. and is from 2:15 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Attendance: $65

Honey for the Heart Giant Puppet Parade will take place from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Court Street. The parade starts at Central Venue, 29 E. Carpenter St., and travels to Union Street, returning to the Central Venue for Honey for the Heart Ball. 

Attendance: Free

Sunday, Oct. 16

Ohio Soccer vs. Ball State is at 121 S. Shafer St. from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. The Ohio Women’s Soccer team will play against Ball State at Chessa Field, promoting their partnership with OhioHealth by wearing pink to stand up in the fight against breast cancer. The first 50 Ohio University students will receive a free t-shirt.

Attendance: Free

Kennedy Museum of Art Open Studio is a free program for families and visitors of all ages interested in art. Pre-registration is required due to space limitations, and the link can be found here: https://ohio.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6kQWOsFuWbQ1OJM. The event is located at 100 Ridges Circle and will take place from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Attendance: Free

grace_koe

gk011320@ohio.edu