Absolutely Abby: The return of the artisans

Although we live in a world dominated by machinery and modern technology, artisanship still manages to exist and contributes profoundly to certain industries today.

An artisan is a skilled worker that specializes in creating things by hand, and it is thought that an artisan, no matter how skilled, cannot compete with modern technology. While this might be true, there is still room for artisan products to thrive. Modern artisan practices range from meat-curing to jam-making, to barrel toasting and cocktail-making. 

In the barrel-making industry, the seemingly outdated craftsmanship of creating barrels by hand and “toasting” them to age and store wine contributes immensely to the flavor of the product. Since its practice has declined, there are limited educational opportunities to achieve a “master cooper” status, which drives the value of the profession through the roof. 

Today, there are only a few dozen master coopers in the world. According to Ramiro Herrera, a master cooper and the sole barrel-maker for Caldwell Vineyard and Winery believes: “For wine, the oak barrel and the level of toast make up about 50% of the flavor. For spirits, the charred wood makes up more like 85-95% of the flavor.” 

Though this is only one example, the recent rise in artisan cocktails is transforming the bartending industry, and returning society to artisan methods of drink-making.

Mixology” is defined by Merriam-Webster as “the art or skill of preparing mixed drinks.” A “mixologist” focuses on creating entirely new cocktails and develops recipes while a bartender mixes and serves them. Thus, the artisanship in mixology lies within the craft itself as well as the ingredients. 

Mixologists spend much of their time mapping out new cocktails on paper, then step into a kitchen to form their drinks, resulting in very little time behind an actual bar. Mixology is generally accepted as a refined and in-depth study of the art of mixing drinks.

“Drinkmasters,” the recent Netflix series, showcases world-class mixologists and their dazzling cocktail-crafting skills as they compete for a cash prize and the title of “Ultimate Drink Master.” In the show, artisan techniques and ingredients are suggested to be the future of the industry, and they aren’t far off. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ latest data shows that the demand for mixologists and bartenders is expected to grow by 18% through 2030, which is “much faster than the average for all occupations,” as the average growth rate for all occupations is 5%. 

The show features traditional techniques such as smoking a cocktail, layering and infusions. These methods require high-quality booze as well as fresh ingredients that are typically locally sourced. 

Businesses such as American Spoon, Benton’s Smoky Mountain Country Hams and Ironbound Farms are prime examples of locally-sourced products that are shipped and used by other businesses for their originality and quality. All three businesses produce high-quality products in limited batches due to their size and utilize team-building skills in working toward a specific outcome. 

Though we may not realize it, these arts can bring communities together and unite parts of the nation’s population that might have not been able to be reached. For example, previously incarcerated people are given the opportunity to apprentice at Ironbound Farms, which allows them to support themselves and their families while being offered a stable source of income, as well as a mentorship program at a local farm within their community. 

In a world that often seems polarized and oppressive, artisanship has the power to engage the creative side of our brains and unite groups of people together to drive innovation and imagination at a time when we need it the most. 

Abby Waechter is a freshman studying strategic communications at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Have something to say? Email Abby at aw087421@ohio.edu or tweet her @AbbyWaechter.