Lately with Layne: The transition of the knockoff into the dupe

We've all been there. Your parents buy you the knockoff version of the hottest top item. You have no choice but to be thankful, but simultaneously navigate the complex waters of feeling inferior to the "popular" or "rich" kids that have the real thing.

The problem that most plagued middle schoolers circa 2015 was Uggs. There were so many knockoffs from Bearpaw to Koolaburra to Musshoe. With these much more attractive price tags staring parents in the face, it was not uncommon for kids to have knockoffs. However, back then, it definitely came with an element of embarrassment. 

However, more recently, this dilemma has faded. In fact, it did a complete 180. The hottest top items are actually dupes of the newest products. TikTok is flooded with comedic videos of people calling everything they see a dupe because of how common they have become. 

Whether it's makeup, clothes or shoes, pretty much every high-end product has a dupe. In my book, some things are worth the money, but most dupes have the same quality as the original product. Almost everyone I know prefers Aerie's leggings over Lululemon. They have similar seams, material and quality but Lululemon's leggings cost about quadruple that of Aerie's. There are also a number of dupes for the top makeup products right now. L'oreal's Lumi Glotion took off after nobody wanted to pay for the Drunk Elephant bronzing drops. Similarly, Dior has a lip oil that went viral but the cost isn't as popular. Instead, many have been recommending Milani's lip oil for a fraction of the cost. 

Having a knockoff in today's world is no longer something to be embarrassed of. In fact, it may be considered more embarrassing to spend a great amount of money on the real product simply because you can. 

Recently, I was thinking about purchasing those wireless headphones that everyone on campus has- you know, the ones that make anyone look like they have their life put together. Instead of even checking the Apple or Beats websites, I went straight to Amazon and searched "Apple headphones dupe." It was like second nature. When it comes to something like technology products, there most likely is a bit of a quality sacrifice, but it's also a matter of $50 versus $500. I'll take the $50 pair any day. My middle school self could never. 

It could be inflation. It could be people finally coming to terms with the obvious. It could be that the connotation and the pronunciation of the word "dupe" is far more positive and entertaining than the word "knockoff." Whatever the reason, I don't think anybody is mad about it. Happy dupe hunting!

Layne Rey is a freshman studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnist do not reflect those of The Post. What are your thoughts? Let Layne know by tweeting her @laynerey12.