Weekender Briefs: attend conferences, celebrate Black History Month

Friday, Feb. 24

The 2023 Baker Peace Conference meets a second day Friday in Walter Hall Rotunda from 10 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. This year’s theme is “A New Cold War?” and examines whether current affairs mark a modern cold war. Friday’s programming will feature three panels with three speakers a piece, and refreshments will be provided.

Admission: Free

The final film in February’s Classics and Cocktails series is “The Big Lebowski,” playing at 7 p.m. at the Athena Cinema, 20 S. Court St. This week’s signature cocktail will be a White Russian as featured in the 1998 hit film.

Admission: $8, drink prices vary

Late Night in the MCC celebrates Black History Month with a game night in the Multicultural Center, Room 205 in Baker Center, from 7 to 10 p.m. This is part of the center’s monthly series but will feature the February-specific theme in celebration of Black History Month. Food, entertainment and games will all be provided.

Admission: Free

Saturday, Feb. 25

The 20th Century and Beyond Festival will begin at 1 p.m. in Glidden Recital Hall. Hosted by the Southeast District Ohio Music Teachers Association, the event will feature piano works in an open performance competition followed by an awards ceremony.

Admission: Free

The Bobcat Combine for Spring 2023 will kick off at 1 p.m. at Walter Fieldhouse, 50 S. Green Drive. The eight-station event mimics the tests at the NFL Pre-Draft Combine, allowing participants to test their athletic skills. Participation in each station is entirely voluntary, and attendees can enjoy whichever challenges they choose.

Admission: $5, free for Spring IM Pass holders

The International Dinner returns this year from 5:30 to 9 p.m. in Baker Center Ballroom. The International Student Union will host the event, themed for 2023 as “Celebrating Our Global Humanity.” The dinner will include global food, exciting performances and more introductions with OU’s vibrant international community. Doors open at 4:30 p.m.

Admission: $20 for adults, $15 for students, $10 for kids aged six-16, free for kids aged five and younger

Harlem Nights in Walter Hall Rotunda will last from 6 to 8 p.m. Hosted by the Black Student Union, this event will mark an evening of Black history, arts and dinner as it showcases Black talent from student performers. The event is also held in collaboration with Alpha Phi Alpha.

Admission: $15 for individual tickets, $80 to reserve a table

Sunday, Feb. 26

Kids Day at Little Fish Brewing will bring family fun from 1 to 4 p.m. at Little Fish Brewing, 8675 Armitage Rd. The event is in partnership with Rural Action and invites participants of all ages.

Admission: Free

A beginning knitting course will take place from 2 to 4 p.m. at Chosen Pathways Spiritual Emporium, 400 E. State St. Hosted by Nadine and Nancy’s Knitting Class, the basic lesson invites anyone aged eight or older to learn the basic steps of knitting. 

Admission: $20

@katie_millard11

km053019@ohio.edu

Katie Millard

Editor-in-Chief