Fresh Finds Friday: Rory explores heartbreak and failed relationships in 'Enough,' The Chemical Brothers return after a hiatus; Luke Grimes talks about Ohio in his sentimental break-up song 'Oh, Ohio'

Happy Friday, Bobcats. Welcome back from spring break! Another week has come and gone, and you know what the best part of the week is? Listening to new music. With that being said, it's always good to listen to some new tunes throughout the week and going into the weekend. 

While everyone has their favorite genre of music, we’ve made a playlist that will appeal to any mood or preference. Below are new songs that are perfect for walking to class, working out at the gym, sitting around in your dorm or cranking out those last-minute papers. Here are five new songs to get you through the week:

“No Reason” by The Chemical Brothers

The Iconic electronic music duo The Chemical Brothers, who’ve released tracks such as “Galvanize” and “Hey Boy Hey Girl,” return with their first piece of music since 2021. Here, the use of exciting snare rolls, electric bass and groovy dance beats combine with a surreal visualizer with longtime collaborators, Smith and Lyall, and choreographed by the Gecko theater. If the visualizer doesn’t sound like your vibe, we still recommend checking it out, but the music will indeed have you grooving to the beat. You can watch the visualizer with the song here. 

“Oh, Ohio” by Luke Grimes

Luke Grimes is a musical artist and an actor, most notably playing a role in the hit TV Series "Yellowstone" and the 2015 film "Fifty Shades of Grey." Here, Grimes is sentimental as he reflects on his home state of Ohio in his new single "Oh, Ohio," inspired by the experiences of leaving home to pursue his dream of being an artist. Grimes, who grew up in Dayton, says, "Oh, Ohio is less of a song about leaving home and more about losing it. It's a breakup song but with a place," according to a udiscovermusic report. 

“Why” by Qing Madi 

The 16-year-old Nigerian singer/songwriter Qing Madi shapes the future of afrobeat in her unique method of bending the fusions of afro beats and R&B. In her latest song, “Why,” she gives the listener a peak into her high school experiences while flexing her vocal range. When summing up what her music is about, Qing Madi has a simple answer: “I have an unbelievable story to tell.”

“Six Feet Under” by Charlotte Sands 

"Six Feet Under" is a punk-rock song about having the impulse to sabotage your own life until you are six feet under. After dropping "Alright" earlier this year, Sands said, "It's for anyone that finds themselves having self-destructive tendencies and constantly struggles with embracing solidity,"  talking about "Six Feet Under," Lyrics, "I go out of my way to ruin my peace of mind. I'm an optimist, but the pessimist wins sometimes/ Am I getting better or just better at pretending,” prove this

“Enough” by Rory, reggie, Jay Electronica

“Enough” brings clever trades of lyrics from rappers Jay Electronica and reggie combined with angelic melodies to create Rory’s new single. He explores themes of heartbreak and failed relationships that furthered this inner dialogue Rory has in the music video about life’s uncertain moments. Rory says, “Some people only take snapshots of their illusions, a moment in time that captures who they want to be.” You can watch the music video here.

@destroyertroyer

wt005221@ohio.edu